A Source(s) For Machining / Learning To Use A Metal Lathe

Have you researched local Vocational Technical schools? I used to teach electronics at my local vo-tech. We had night classes for adults that were inexpensive and were two to three nights a week. One of the most popular classes was Intro to machine shop and another was welding. Both very highly rated and taught by very experienced instructors. There was a waiting list for both classes. Both were hands on and book learning. They even taught CNC programming.

I starting watching these last night..thank you. I have searched for vocational training schools in within 25 mikes of my residence and have not found any that explicitly describe the course to include metal lathe training. Having said that, I have contacted several to see if metal lathe training/machining is available.

Thank you.

Thank you. I am fully subscribed :), also treeing to buy the dvds

A guy I know well took the AGI course for Gunsmithing. I don't think he took the lathe or mill courses, but he does really nice work.

Thank you! I want to practice machining, cutting threads, boring, and shaping SS (304L and 303, 3/4 inch round rod). My friend has a HiTorque 7 x 16 (LMS). He uses it for something other than what I want to use it for, but he is interested in doing what I am doing with it. Where should I buy the stock please.

Thank you!

Thank you! I want to practice machining, cutting threads, boring, and shaping SS (304L and 303, 3/4 inch round rod). My friend has a HiTorque 7 x 16 (LMS). He uses it for something other than what I want to use it for, but he is interested in doing what I am doing with it. Where should I buy the stock please.

Thank you!

Tony, you can get material from several on-line dealers, just google steel suppliers. Speedy Metals is pretty popular with this group. For small quantities the are okay but the shipping runs the price up. If you are going to use a substantial amount of material try your local steel suppliers, it will be a lot cheaper buying rounds full length. Sometimes they will have drops that they will sale at a discounted price. That is what I do unless it is something special and a rare project, such as the octagon 41L40 I just ordered from Speedy in 12" lengths.

Good luck

Back