A Source(s) For Machining / Learning To Use A Metal Lathe

I was browsing their site last night. they didn't have the ss that i was looking for..maybe i need should call them. Thank you.

I am not far from you; I would love to see your equipment.

I started hanging out at a machine shop that does work for the plant I work at. These guys are happy to answer questions and explain how and why they do things. They are also a good source for useable scrap.
You might call scrap yards in your area for metal. Once people found out about my hobby, round stock started coming at me from everywhere. It's the flat bar that's been a problem to find so far.

Yes. I have seen this...a feel sorry for this poor guy. I hope he never gets hurt.

I see you own a PM. I have been driving myself nuts trying to decide between a PM and a HiTorque 7 x or 8.5 x. I just want it to turn, thread, etc pens and bushings.

I started out with a MicroMark 7x16 which is similar to the HiTorque (or any other 7x lathe). The biggest problem is the lack of rigidity, especially in the cross slide. You can still make good parts, but can only take light cuts and parting off is difficult. The PM1127 might be more than you need, but one of the 10x size lathes might be perfect.

I would look at the PM1228 as mentioned previously, just a wider scope that seems to be what you are looking for (assuming you have the space). Should afford a lot of rigidity and the ability to do small stuff and larger if you decide to do more. A good collet system, you should be able to do the small stuff you want. I do a lot of very small stuff on my 1340 machine, I am actually amazed at its abilities with a collet system. You can watch a lot of videos online, I find that at some point the hands on learning/experience is what worked for me, then going back to the videos to further understand the nuances. That being said, many things are shades of gray as opposed to black and white. The lathe just needs a high level of attention (in my opinion), because a mistake can be more dangerous and cause more damage.

Thank you! I want to practice machining, cutting threads, boring, and shaping SS (304L and 303, 3/4 inch round rod). My friend has a HiTorque 7 x 16 (LMS). He uses it for something other than what I want to use it for, but he is interested in doing what I am doing with it. Where should I buy the stock please.

Thank you!

You need to find scrap metal dealers in your area. I take a swing through mine at least once a week to see what they have on hand. For what I do, drop and scrap is perfect - I can get a foot or two of round bar cheap. Brass, aluminum, stainless, etc.

This is the place I go to - http://www.jdrecyclers.com/

Back