Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

Now that we've all been reminded of what power equipment can do, I hope that we get to see pics of @455dan's sweet new drill press once he gets it home and set up. It sure is a beaut, I'd be proud to have one in my shop! I'm jealous that my Powermatic doesn't have power feed or a moveable head. That's a drill press you can run a boring head with, pretty nice.

I did get the Drill press cleaned up a bit.
The upper transmission shifter lever was broken and I had some Vinyl plate that seemed like it would work for the short term. I drilled it for a ball bearing and spring so It sits in the detents- if there is any thrust on the lever when it is running. Table is pretty pitted, it gives it some character. :)
Drill head and table move fairly easily for how heavy they are and I do like the swing feature for both. Also received a new indicator to replace the one I broke on the HF press.

Can't wait for the VFD and chuck to show so I can test out the Arboga.

Edit:

I just noticed the table has a nod in the pic's, but need to see if there is an adjustment / shimming or maybe just spinning the table 180* in the clamp will improve it.

Well that was easy, the table was not locked down and the clamp needed the 2 bolts tightened a 1/4 turn . Spindle is very square with the table.

Attachments

• PXL_20231231_015803280.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231231_015803280.MP.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20231231_021130410.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231231_021130410.MP.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20231231_020657151.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231231_020657151.MP.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
You'll like it !!! I have an Arboga radial arm one. Incredible machine. It probably has a two speed motor like mine. I run it with a VFD feeding the two speed switch. Just don't change speeds when its powering the motor and you'll be fine.

Greg

While waiting on the chuck and VFD if Ok a couple questions on the install you did?

You are also correct it has the 5 position 2 speed motor switch and looks like around 1 3/4HP.

So if I read what you posted right,
I see most VFD controller directions want the VFD wired direct to motor- which seems overkill to me, if a guy just makes sure to select speed /direction switch position and also the on button is locked in- Before powering up the VFD.
So that the Only real difference would be selecting reverse from the VFD

Or,
Are you able to have the VFD powered up with motor stopped and then able to just change the drill press motor speed winding switch setting on the press and then select run and adjust motor speed from the VFD?, which I would think would be preferable?

Thanks

Last edited:
While waiting on the chuck and VFD if Ok a couple questions on the install you did?

You are also correct it has the 5 position 2 speed motor switch and looks like around 1 3/4HP.

I see most VFD controller directions want the VFD wired direct to motor- which seems overkill to me, if a guy just makes sure to select speed /direction switch position and also the on button is locked in- Before powering up the VFD.

Or,
Are you able to have the VFD powered up with motor stopped and then able to just change the drill press motor speed winding switch setting on the press and then select run and adjust motor speed from the VFD?, which I would think would be preferable?

Thanks
For what it's worth
I have a similar gear head DP and run it off a simple rotary phase converter.
Between the gears and 5 position switch
I get 8 F and 8 R. I have not found it lacking in rpm selection such that I would ever feel a need to further adjust the speed with a dial.
Your call tho.

Attachments

• 2024-01-02_04_06_20.jpg
    2024-01-02_04_06_20.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 29

Or,

Thanks
I spoke to a tech at Automation Direct and he confirmed wiring the VFD into the speed selector was not a problem. As you said in option two the VFD can remain powered up while changing the speed selector IF the motor is stopped.
Both speeds on my motor draw virtually the same current so the VFD settings protect it in either speed.
I haven't set up for reverse on mine, it didn't have it originally. Only use it for drilling, haven't needed it for tapping.
Mine had start/stop buttons controlling a motor starter. I use them to feed the control terminals on the VFD. Works but occasionally the stop button needs to be cycled to make contact. They were meant to carry 220V and some current to operate the coil in the relay, the control voltage for the VFD (10V ?) and virtually no current can be a challenge for them. Someday I may replace or clean them.
With the 2 speed motor and 4 speed gearbox I've never used it at other than 60 Hz.
Hope this helps.

Greg

For what it's worth
I have a similar gear head DP and run it off a simple rotary phase converter.
Between the gears and 5 position switch
I get 8 F and 8 R. I have not found it lacking in rpm selection such that I would ever feel a need to further adjust the speed with a dial.
Your call tho.

I probably should have asked some questions before ordering the inexpensive VFD, but was excited to get it usable.

I see from the picture that is the Sister company Solberga and has basically the same design except you got a better width of factory gearing, if you also do a bit of wood drilling.
1440 RPM gets you decent top speed. Since top speed is 1000 on this one, I thought if the VFD functions OK that I could maybe run it up to around the 1400 RPM speed without to much worry and also down to maybe 70 RPM. I did order for a 5 HP and one with the variable resistor which has a removable front control so if the box is to large I can make a mini panel and also add an E stop button right on the front as well (which is also on the way).
Who knows, if the VFD does not play well with the motors 2 windings, I will spend the money and switch to a rotary phase conversion instead. Hoping the VFD works OK though. Really want to try out the power feed.

Since that is the sister Company and similar design, do you think it is worth it to pull the cover and clean and re lube all of the gears and bearings. All I have seen mentioned is using Vactra 2 and maybe some spray on lithium grease for the gear sets.

Last edited:
I spoke to a tech at Automation Direct and he confirmed wiring the VFD into the speed selector was not a problem. As you said in option two the VFD can remain powered up while changing the speed selector IF the motor is stopped.
Both speeds on my motor draw virtually the same current so the VFD settings protect it in either speed.
I haven't set up for reverse on mine, it didn't have it originally. Only use it for drilling, haven't needed it for tapping.
Mine had start/stop buttons controlling a motor starter. I use them to feed the control terminals on the VFD. Works but occasionally the stop button needs to be cycled to make contact. They were meant to carry 220V and some current to operate the coil in the relay, the control voltage for the VFD (10V ?) and virtually no current can be a challenge for them. Someday I may replace or clean them.
With the 2 speed motor and 4 speed gearbox I've never used it at other than 60 Hz.
Hope this helps.

Greg
Thanks Yes Very helpful. That makes sense using the VFD low voltage control through the Press's on/off push buttons and back to VFD.

The power feed is a nice feature, but not super user friendly. You need to hold the manual feed down close to the work, then pull the D handle down then bring the trip mechanism up to lock it, three hands would be nice. BUT impressive to see two heavy curls coming off an inch plus bit.
Like the longer feed handle on yours. Mine is inside the longitudinal feed handle and too short. The power feed controls look identical.
IMG_4076.jpg

Greg

Wow that is a beast. The gentleman I bought this from also had the Radial arm like yours, as he said they were only keeping one- and since the radial is more versatile that is what they were keeping.
I LIKE that Vice.

LOL The vice was deceptive. The drill came up on a government auction site. Looked at the photos and imagined the vice as a normal drill press vice. Won the auction for less than the price of the Jacobs chuck, went to pick it up to find an 8 inch vice that weighs about 140 pounds and a much bigger machine than expected. Win win, hardly ever bolt the vice down, it's going nowhere. A 1 1/4 drill, biggest I own, doesn't slow it down with the power feed engaged.
Had to buy that bit for some work on a backhoe, the one I was using to cross drill the valve stem on an engine Im building is on top.
IMG_2023-01-05_17-21-38.jpeg

Greg

Last edited:
The power feed is a nice feature, but not super user friendly. You need to hold the manual feed down close to the work, then pull the D handle down then bring the trip mechanism up to lock it, three hands would be nice. BUT impressive to see two heavy curls coming off an inch plus bit.
Like the longer feed handle on yours. Mine is inside the longitudinal feed handle and too short. The power feed controls look identical.
View attachment 472968

Greg
Greg,
That is a beautiful machine!
I kind of have a jones for metal capable DPs - own 3 of them now - but would love to have a small radial like yours.
Agree the power feed on the Arboga not being so user friendly. Have an Enco clone of an E830 here.
The Solberga you simply pull down on the handle to engage the feed and lift to disengage.
The Arbogas are heavier duty tho in that they have MT4 spindles whereas the Solberga is only MT3.
Someday I'd like to have the Alzmettal version of your radial arm.
Or the holy grail of DPs an Oerlikon.
Dan, I dont have much need for wood working stuff. But if someday I do need a wood capable DP the Electro-Mechano will serve.

Attachments

• 2024-01-02_05_34_27.jpg
    2024-01-02_05_34_27.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2024-01-02_05_34_43.jpg
    2024-01-02_05_34_43.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 30
Back