Adequate Hobbyist Drill Press?

The power feed is a nice feature, but not super user friendly. You need to hold the manual feed down close to the work, then pull the D handle down then bring the trip mechanism up to lock it, three hands would be nice. BUT impressive to see two heavy curls coming off an inch plus bit.
Like the longer feed handle on yours. Mine is inside the longitudinal feed handle and too short. The power feed controls look identical.
View attachment 472968

Greg
I noticed in the background you have appears to be a Delta 40-440 scroll saw. Are you aware that model could also double as a die filer? I was looking for a die filer several years ago. I wasn't having any luck, so I toyed with the idea of converting a scroll saw into one. I was a bit surprised when I found a 1942 Delta catalog on the Vintage Machinery site that mentioned you could buy a chuck to accommodate files.

I happened across several model 40-440's at an equipment dealer. One of them had the file chuck included. I purchased it and found some files on eBay. I've only used it as a die filer a few times, but it seems to do the job.

At one time i used a scroll saw quite a bit. Found this one at a yard sale, rebuilt it and never used it. lol Sat in the machine shop for several years, finally moved it to the container this fall.

Greg

Wow, that is part of why i have been buying some larger tools, the Ford TLB I unloaded the press with.
It has about as much slop as is possible and the price of large backhoe pins is Outrageous- so I am going to make my own out of a 2.5" scrap axle shaft I have held onto from some old piece of equipment.
Greg,
That is a beautiful machine!
I kind of have a jones for metal capable DPs - own 3 of them now - but would love to have a small radial like yours.
Agree the power feed on the Arboga not being so user friendly. Have an Enco clone of an E830 here.
The Solberga you simply pull down on the handle to engage the feed and lift to disengage.
The Arbogas are heavier duty tho in that they have MT4 spindles whereas the Solberga is only MT3.
Someday I'd like to have the Alzmettal version of your radial arm.
Or the holy grail of DPs an Oerlikon.
Dan, I dont have much need for wood working stuff. But if someday I do need a wood capable DP the Electro-Mechano will serve.

That looks virtually Identical. to this new to me E 830.
That brings up a question.
I received the Shar's chuck and Really impressed- very smooth and they included a runout spec of .0026 and if I don't side load the drill stock it is right on the number, But this Arboga has had a lot of use and the spindle lower Timkin style tapered roller bearing has both vertical and lateral run out since it needs a little preload. Showing a total of .010" . I need to get the side cover off under the motor to get at the spindle nut to tighten up the vertical play and also can grease the bearings, problem is it is not budging so far.

The manual "4 pages" showed up and says an E 830 has four side bolts . I only see three , plus 3 vertical screws and the 2 small motor screws. I was able to get the motor up a 1/4 " to clear the cast circular rib, but nothing more. A bit stumped at this point but would really like to lube the gears/bearings and also reset the vertical spindle preload. Any ideas on what I am missing or suggestions?

At one time i used a scroll saw quite a bit. Found this one at a yard sale, rebuilt it and never used it. lol Sat in the machine shop for several years, finally moved it to the container this fall.

Greg
What type scroll saw is it?

I am going to make my own out of a 2.5" scrap axle shaft I have held onto from some old piece of equipment.

That is what it's all about, my man! Good choice of material for the pins for sure.

I need to get the side cover off under the motor to get at the spindle nut to tighten up the vertical play and also can grease the bearings, problem is it is not budging so far.

The manual "4 pages" showed up and says an E 830 has four side bolts . I only see three , plus 3 vertical screws and the 2 small motor screws. I was able to get the motor up a 1/4 " to clear the cast circular rib, but nothing more. A bit stumped at this point but would really like to lube the gears/bearings and also reset the vertical spindle preload. Any ideas on what I am missing or suggestions?

I see three bolts on the side, maybe the 4th bolt goes vertical into the motor housing? If not, a brass drift and a dead blow might be needed to break the paint loose. Doesn't appear to be any jacking screw holes or separation tabs in that beautifully curved casting. Did the manual come with an exploded view, or is that wishful thinking?

Edit: That upper case has to lift off in one piece. Probably a splined shaft on the motor. Maybe pull the motor first, and make sure there aren't any retaining clips on the shafts in the top assembly. Looks like an innovative design, wouldn't want to risk damaging anything.

Last edited:
That is what it's all about, my man! Good choice of material for the pins for sure.

I see three bolts on the side, maybe the 4th bolt goes vertical into the motor housing? If not, a brass drift and a dead blow might be needed to break the paint loose. Doesn't appear to be any jacking screw holes or separation tabs in that beautifully curved casting. Did the manual come with an exploded view, or is that wishful thinking?

Edit: That upper case has to lift off in one piece. Probably a splined shaft on the motor. Maybe pull the motor first, and make sure there aren't any retaining clips on the shafts in the top assembly. Looks like an innovative design, wouldn't want to risk damaging anything.

Yep I think axle material should work for pins.

edit,
I re read the page that had instructions and changed plans to just do the spindle bearing greasing cleaning which actually is what they recommend first before taking the main gear case apart.

Only one problem, I did something REALLY stupid using washers to slightly pry apart the main case halves and before i gave up on that, managed to drop one down inside the case on top of the spindle. DOH.

There are days I shouldn't handle tools:)
Luckily was able to fish the washer out of the gear case using a piece of TIG rod

Overall things look pretty good and other than one shard I found, the bearings look/ feel ok after taking the spindle out of the spindle housing.
Cleaned the bearings out and greased them and reassembled the spindle support and spindle. No More play, Yay.

The recoil spring housing for the handwheel is frozen to the pinion shaft, so I can't set the vertical recoil tension until penetrating oil does it's job or if that fails attempt to press it off . Being able to adjust the spring tension is worth fixing.
Of course if I had just accepted the runout on the spindle and had not disassembled it, wouldn't need to fix the recoil spring.

The VFD showed up early, so just decided to button things up, and see if I can get the press up and running.

Attachments

• PXL_20240105_202818983.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240105_202818983.MP.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Wow this thing is AWESOME.

The VFD wired up No problem, and the Press works great.

I just set the VFD on a work table next to the press and the First Chips were made using a 1" bit on 3/8" steel and the slow down feed position.
Chewed right through it. May need to look for a more robust vice...

Very happy with the very low run out as well. Need to figure out where to mount the VFD and I also found the high speed down feed is not working. It occurred to me that I found 2 small pins laying in the trough under the down feed box. Likely have a missing or sheared pin on that gear- so an easy fix.

I am ecstatic with this press, May even treat it to a new paint job, I do have some Caterpillar Yellow and this thing is kind of built like a dozer. :)

Thank you gentlemen Again for steering me toward this Arboga, I already have decided I won't ever sell or trade it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240106_212044840.jpg
    PXL_20240106_212044840.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240106_211933570.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240106_211933570.MP.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240106_213847209.jpg
    PXL_20240106_213847209.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Wow this thing is AWESOME.

The VFD wired up No problem, and the Press works great.

I just set the VFD on a work table next to the press and the First Chips were made using a 1" bit on 3/8" steel and the slow down feed position.
Chewed right through it. May need to look for a more robust vice...

Very happy with the very low run out as well. Need to figure out where to mount the VFD and I also found the high speed down feed is not working. It occurred to me that I found 2 small pins laying in the trough under the down feed box. Likely have a missing or sheared pin on that gear- so an easy fix.

I am ecstatic with this press, May even treat it to a new paint job, I do have some Caterpillar Yellow and this thing is kind of built like a dozer. :)

Thank you gentlemen Again for steering me toward this Arboga, I already have decided I won't ever sell or trade it.
Now you know why some guys with Real DPs or other metal working machines find it hard to bite their tongue when someone asks if a DP with minimum 400 rpm will suffice for "hobby" machining.
But now you're gonna learn there is a downside to owning a heavy machine like yours.
I see you are holding that big drill bit in a chuck.
After you twist the straight shank off of a couple of drill bits you will start buying taper shank bits. And there's no end to that.
:)

a178b68499ab6c6fbd7178f5c415ca54.jpg

All 4 done. That should hold me for a bit.

Now you know why some guys with Real DPs or other metal working machines find it hard to bite their tongue when someone asks if a DP with minimum 400 rpm will suffice for "hobby" machining.
But now you're gonna learn there is a downside to owning a heavy machine like yours.
I see you are holding that big drill bit in a chuck.
After you twist the straight shank off of a couple of drill bits you will start buying taper shank bits. And there's no end to that.
:)
Several years ago when I stopped by one of my favorite used equipment dealers he tried to talk me into purchasing some #3 and #4 Morse taper drills. It was a full height wall cabinet about 6’ across filled with over 500 drills from 1/4” to 1 1/2”. He was only asking $300.00. I didn’t have the space for it, and didn’t use that many taper shank drills so I passed on it. By the time I came to my senses he had sold it. I still kick myself to this day

Back