Adult ADHD and the workshop.

SouthernChap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
WARNING: There's a fair bit of airy-fairy, semi-speculative (albeit fairly well-informed) yadda below. If you're not interested in that sort of thing, then you probably want to skip this. Eh, I'm not the boss of you though, so feel free to inflict my yap-flapping on yourself, if you like! :grin:

The recent revival of the thread on the Adam Savage video about First Order Retrievability got me thinking about a recent epiphany I had and about those of us with ADHD (diagnosed or not) in the hobby machinist niche.

Given the recent increase of adult ADHD diagnoses (the medicos have worked out that ADHD doesn't just dissappear magically at age 18 :grin:) and the increase of interest in 'making' activities, I thought it might be worth talking about some of my experiences, partly to raise some extra awareness of what being ADHD is a bit like for those who aren't ADHD, partly to help those of us with ADHD give themselves a bit of a break and partly...because I love the sound (sight) of my own voice (typing)! :grin:

I've been doing a fair bit of workshop infrastructure work in the past several months and I've been pondering why I've been doing that work in preference to finishing the two projects I'm halfway through and starting the approximately four or so other projects that I'm genuinely looking forward to.

At first, thinking about it got me down a bit, made me mither about whether it was the bad old unmedicated, ADHDful me rearing his head. Was I losing focus on the very reason for the workshop? Was I putting off the kind of task that I had learned (incorrectly) to assume that I would mess up because of my inattention?

After a little more introspection, though, I think I understand what I was doing and why I was doing it.

Here's my understanding:

ADHD meds are for many (assuming one has found the right dose), very transformational. Honestly, I'm amazed that I managed to make a career in programming these last nearly 30 years. I've either been a lot more productive than I remember or I've had an unnatural amount of luck with very forgiving and tolerant managers!:grin:

Either way, my productivity and the quality of my work have really shot up in the last 'finally-diagnosed-and-medicated' year.

That said though, the meds aren't magic and I've got a fair chunk of 30 years of cognitive bad habits to unlearn, especially where those things pertain to the workshop.

One of the ways I'm learning to get over some of these bad mental habits is to sometimes prioritise important but tedious chores over the fun stuff (you know, like a normal, responsible, adult would do). One of these chores was sorting out my fixings.

During this chore, I noticed that I was doing a lot more preemptive planning and being overly strict about the differentiation of fixings...

...and was inordinately enjoying this strictness to boot.

It was then I realised that I was creating external order to help support the improvement of my internal mental order.

This is really important for someone with ADHD. The meds are transformative but ultimately, adult diagnosed ADHD people need to learn mental self-discipline to make the most of that transformation; unlearn those bad, short-cut, self-defeating habits.

In a workshop, where there are spinning drilly/grindy/cutty things that will hurt you if you aren't paying attention, learning this mental self-discipline is pretty critical (and that's leaving aside the epic, apocalyptic, galaxy spanning irritation that comes when you realise that, due to a typically ADHD stupid mistake, you've scrapped a part).

So, what I was doing with these workshop infrastructure jobs, was creating an environment that helps mitigate some of the internal disorder that persists despite the ADHD medication, whilst at the same time, training myself to apply my focus to the more mundane tasks and not ignoring them (as my undiagnosed self would have been wont to do) in favour of the fun stuff.

All wins and thus, I suspect the instinctive enjoyment of the fixings organisation.

There's often an implicit, or even explicit, call on here, to stop fannying around and just make some chips.

This is often good advice. That joy of seeing a part emerge from a piece of metal, even imperfectly so, can't be understated. It's a tremendous motivator and confidence builder.

However, people with ADHD might need to do some 'indirectly, implicitly productive' tasks, either to create a workshop environment that helps support their unlearning of the old cognitive habits, or to help learn the mental self-discipline that neurotypical people take for granted, or indeed both.

They're not necessarily faffing about or avoiding productive work due to fear of failure. There's a good chance they're re-building their brain to better serve themselves in the workshop. :)

I have never had a formal diagnosis but I have long suspected that I have ADHD.
I can totally relate to your shop infrastructure projects as I am finding that as I get older I am less and less able to tolerate disorder.
Yesterday I went out to the shop and literally walked back and forth try to get enough focus to complete the task I had started the day before.
I have found that Omega-3 helps to a degree.

Yep, people have reported omega-3 does alleviate inattention and impulsivity.

It's been on my mind to ask my GP about it (omega 3 can have some unwanted interactions with some meds, so I ought to talk to my GP before adding omega 3 supplements to my treatments) but quelle surprise, I've not not got round to it. :oops: :big grin:

WARNING: There's a fair bit of airy-fairy, semi-speculative (albeit fairly well-informed) yadda below. If you're not interested in that sort of thing, then you probably want to skip this. Eh, I'm not the boss of you though, so feel free to inflict my yap-flapping on yourself, if you like! :grin:

The recent revival of the thread on the Adam Savage video about First Order Retrievability got me thinking about a recent epiphany I had and about those of us with ADHD (diagnosed or not) in the hobby machinist niche.

Given the recent increase of adult ADHD diagnoses (the medicos have worked out that ADHD doesn't just dissappear magically at age 18 :grin:) and the increase of interest in 'making' activities, I thought it might be worth talking about some of my experiences, partly to raise some extra awareness of what being ADHD is a bit like for those who aren't ADHD, partly to help those of us with ADHD give themselves a bit of a break and partly...because I love the sound (sight) of my own voice (typing)! :grin:

I've been doing a fair bit of workshop infrastructure work in the past several months and I've been pondering why I've been doing that work in preference to finishing the two projects I'm halfway through and starting the approximately four or so other projects that I'm genuinely looking forward to.

At first, thinking about it got me down a bit, made me mither about whether it was the bad old unmedicated, ADHDful me rearing his head. Was I losing focus on the very reason for the workshop? Was I putting off the kind of task that I had learned (incorrectly) to assume that I would mess up because of my inattention?

After a little more introspection, though, I think I understand what I was doing and why I was doing it.

Here's my understanding:

ADHD meds are for many (assuming one has found the right dose), very transformational. Honestly, I'm amazed that I managed to make a career in programming these last nearly 30 years. I've either been a lot more productive than I remember or I've had an unnatural amount of luck with very forgiving and tolerant managers!:grin:

Either way, my productivity and the quality of my work have really shot up in the last 'finally-diagnosed-and-medicated' year.

That said though, the meds aren't magic and I've got a fair chunk of 30 years of cognitive bad habits to unlearn, especially where those things pertain to the workshop.

One of the ways I'm learning to get over some of these bad mental habits is to sometimes prioritise important but tedious chores over the fun stuff (you know, like a normal, responsible, adult would do). One of these chores was sorting out my fixings.

During this chore, I noticed that I was doing a lot more preemptive planning and being overly strict about the differentiation of fixings...

...and was inordinately enjoying this strictness to boot.

It was then I realised that I was creating external order to help support the improvement of my internal mental order.

This is really important for someone with ADHD. The meds are transformative but ultimately, adult diagnosed ADHD people need to learn mental self-discipline to make the most of that transformation; unlearn those bad, short-cut, self-defeating habits.

In a workshop, where there are spinning drilly/grindy/cutty things that will hurt you if you aren't paying attention, learning this mental self-discipline is pretty critical (and that's leaving aside the epic, apocalyptic, galaxy spanning irritation that comes when you realise that, due to a typically ADHD stupid mistake, you've scrapped a part).

So, what I was doing with these workshop infrastructure jobs, was creating an environment that helps mitigate some of the internal disorder that persists despite the ADHD medication, whilst at the same time, training myself to apply my focus to the more mundane tasks and not ignoring them (as my undiagnosed self would have been wont to do) in favour of the fun stuff.

All wins and thus, I suspect the instinctive enjoyment of the fixings organisation.

There's often an implicit, or even explicit, call on here, to stop fannying around and just make some chips.

This is often good advice. That joy of seeing a part emerge from a piece of metal, even imperfectly so, can't be understated. It's a tremendous motivator and confidence builder.

However, people with ADHD might need to do some 'indirectly, implicitly productive' tasks, either to create a workshop environment that helps support their unlearning of the old cognitive habits, or to help learn the mental self-discipline that neurotypical people take for granted, or indeed both.

They're not necessarily faffing about or avoiding productive work due to fear of failure. There's a good chance they're re-building their brain to better serve themselves in the workshop. :)
I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age and they tried Rittlen (SP Forgive) and my father said it sped me up, Coffee/C affine actually helps calm my mind which the Doctors said happens with some, weird I know, it's kinda like the little squirrel in the movie "Over the Hedge".

ADHD doesn't mean you have issues concentrating, it means you have problems concentrating on individual things one at a time which is why we are horrible day dreamers and terrible at completing single task in a timely manner, we bounce from thing to thing a lot, the new term for it is Squirrel!, I get that a lot, "oh, you squirreled".... So for me written todo list, mental discipline and self control are deadly important, I have worked my entire life getting this down and I am still working on it. I my professional life I am a problem solver/designer and there is nothing better than a project with a lot of moving parts because that is the level my brain works at, High stress with lots going on (retirement is going to be a challenge). In my personal world I always have 4 or 5 things going an I take a bit more time than most but I work it all out, I'll usually stop and think things through on one thing while working on another....

Other issues I have is I am nocturnal and I live on 4 to 5 hours of sleep a day...

Sorry, TMI, didn't mean to ramble, "Squirrel".....

Other issues I have is I am nocturnal and I live on 4 to 5 hours of sleep a day...
Me too!
The older I get (I'm really old!) the harder time I have in staying concentrated on and finishing a project.
Getting old sucks!

This thread is for me. Ironically, I had a conversation about this with my doctor just last week. One of the takeaways was that there are several medication options, but in my case, he was concerned about lowering my blood pressure too much, which in my case would not be good since my blood pressure isn't very high to begin with (usually 118/67-ish).

Bingo. External order to create internal order. That is what I am now trying to focus on because the question he posed to me was, "If I prescribe a med, what is the end goal or expectation?" After some reflection, I felt like the best answer at the moment was "less swirling." So, for now, I am going to forgo medication and return to checklists, the same process I used nearly my entire career while flying. Now, if I can just remember to write down the checklists...;)

I my professional life I am a problem solver/designer and there is nothing better than a project with a lot of moving parts because that is the level my brain works at, High stress with lots going on (retirement is going to be a challenge)
I think I am ADHD as well and had a similar job, that kept me focused, but once I got laid off and my wife spent about 2 seconds convincing me to be a stay at home dad, I started having a lot of trouble keeping on track. I do occasionally get a project done in a reasonable amount of time, but the more parts required, the more likely it gets abandoned for the squirrel. When I was working, that rarely happened.

My wife is the opposite of me, and can’t understand why I am juggling so many projects, and taking forever to get any of them done. I need written lists of things to do so that I can prioritize them, but my wife refuses to give me a list of what she wants done. She thinks that since she can keep track of multiple things at once, I can too. My 15 y/o daughter is just like me, she is doing a lot of activities and it helps her, but my wife keeps trying to cut them back saying it’s too much. A constant battle. Maybe I will show her this thread so she understands.

Now, if I can just remember to write down the checklists...;)
I’m good at writing things down, but my super power is misplacing my notepads and having to write it down all over again.

I’m good at writing things down, but my super power is misplacing my notepads and having to write it down all over again.
Cripes. Thank goodness I've never done that. Nope, never. I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

I can't make a list to save my life. Truly horrible at it.
One thing I like is repetition, making multiples of something. I realized this on the weekend when I was making a batch of drawers.
It was satisfying in a way I didn't expect. Rip to width, crosscut to length, assemble the boxes, cut bottoms to fit. A dozen drawers made the same.
Maybe it's the focus?

Last edited:
Self diagnosed something or other....

My mom is a former educator that used me to test all kinds of learning stuff. But, I don't think they even had ADHD as a diagnosis back when I was a kid so no medication or accommodations for me. Earlier this year I finally finished my Math 100 course and at the end of this month I start my final Math 114 course which will complete my bachelors degree program just before my 59th birthday. Oh what a different path I could have taken if I had just stuck with college once in the half dozen times I started.

My wife gets tired of me saying that I'm organizing the shop since for her (lists, notes, advanced degree) it doesn't make sense how I could need to be doing it over and over again. When I ran my business, probably twice a year I pulled everything out from the wall and rearranged stuff for a more efficient workspace. Oh, how I miss having those 4800 sqft of shop space to spread out in but if I'm honest it still wasn't enough room for everything that accumulated.

The past year or so has been torture though since starting our construction project. I have a small shop and way too many tools and with everything happening here I am stuck without enough room to move around in the shop. So, things have been pretty much at a stand still with tools and machines pushed to the side and stacked up on each other. In my mind I know how I want to reorganize stuff but I physically can't do it with other things in the way.

I really need to pull everything out into the driveway and shuffle stuff around for a good week or two so I can even start to get organized. Then I need to sell a bunch of stuff that's duplicates or not needed. Compounding the problem is I no longer have cheap storage or a trailer to move stuff around so I really do need to pare things down.

Bah,

John

Back