Adult ADHD and the workshop.

Just to say to anybody who thinks they may be ADHD:

If you possibly can (and by can, I mean can in any way afford it in countries where you have to pay and/or where adult ADHD is recognised as something that needs treating), get yourself seen by a qualified professional and tested.

If you are diagnosed as being ADHD get started finding the right medication for you; the latter can take some time but once dialled in, medication can make a massive difference.

Also, for those who have tried one medication and not found it useful, it's worth exploring other medications. Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is often the first choice but there are others that can be just as, if not more effective. I'm on Lisdexamfetamine (Elvanse or Vyvanse).

There are also non-stimulant meds available: Atomoxetine (Strattera) and Guanfacine (Tenex or Intuniv) are a couple that I'm aware of.

It's also worth bearing in mind that getting the right dose is vital and doctors tend to start at a low dose and work up (until the dose becomes effective) with these meds, rather than starting high and working down (to the lowest tolerable dose), which us what they used to do, I believe.

Finally as @DavidR8 has mentioned, Omega-3 supplements can help but have a chat with your GP if you're on any other meds as I believe some supplements can interact with other meds.

Oh and I am definitely not a doctor to talk to a good, qualified medical professional before doing stuff that might affect your physical or mental health. :)

Last edited:
I see a lot in common with every single one of you guys. There is no way to know for sure how much we think alike and what is ADHD but I’m pretty sure our mental processes are totally different and IMHO that’s a good thing. If we were working as a team each one of us would be great for a certain aspect of the job that the others wouldn’t be. But solo we struggle. I struggled big time when I went solo.

I was lucky my first mentor was my Okie grandpa who was a blacksmith/cornbinder mechanic for 40yrs with a second grade education. He was a wizard at understanding and fixing ag machinery and at understanding people. His super power was seeing complex systems and how they work be it machines or people. Somehow he got when tasked with a job I would be frozen in my tracks as it unfolded start to finish in my minds eye and I’d be overwhelmed with the details and not even know where to start. He never said ok, get to it! just take it a step at a time. He somehow knew the difference between what I was seeing and the guy who was thinking “I don’t want to do that and screw him!” and was just standing around. My first boss i had fresh out of high school rebuilding VW engines was a carbon copy. We got along great.

I learned how to find a starting place and mentally map out the seeming maze to the finish and how to break it into chunks so I wouldn’t get overwhelmed over and over until it became second nature. I also got I hate repetitive “making toothpicks outta logs” work so I have to very careful or I’ll screw it up as I’ll catch myself not being present. Besides working with my hands my joy is doing the job for a while and getting how it can be done more efficiently. Sometimes it takes years to get the complete picture and then gather the parts and execute. But that is my internal roadmap/ list generator /carrot on a stick that keeps me going.

I personally stay far away from doctors and especially their pharma induced complications and prefer herbal supplements and so far it’s kept me off any kind meds. But to each their own and whatever works.

I've got it (yes medicated) among other challenges (also medicated) and I resemble these remarks. I've got plenty to say, but will rein myself in for now. People either understand or they don't. But my savior is my psychiatrist, and that's the way it is. Keeps me out of jail at the very least.

I've got plenty to say, but will rein myself in for now. People either understand or they don't.
They certainly won't understand if a fear of causing a conflict leads you to not communicate. :big grin:

Honestly, I reckon we're all big, old and ugly* enough to bear the fact that people on this forum will have different views on this stuff. :)

So I really would love to hear your opinions. My gut feel is that I'm likely to agree with them, but hey, my gut feelings are wrong often enough for me not to be particularly trusting of them and if I don't, then I'm sure I can find a way to communicate my comprehensive disdain for your opinions, your lifestyle, your choices and your taste in coffee in a way that will make being publicly offended by my remarks feel unreasonable, even if punching me in the face would be the action of any right thinking person. :cool:

:grin::grin::grin:

Seriously though, speak your piece. Unless I've completely misjudged you, you're a person of deep good-will, so only a fool would take offence. :)

*Well okay, personally I'm not ugly, I'm pretty damn fine actually, but I'm big and old enough. :grin:

Sometimes it goes deeper than folks want to put out in public. Especially with military veterans, they will talk when and where they want.

John
Ah, thank you for the heads-up. The struggles that can come with service are a different ball-park than what I was talking about, and as you say, those that have them should talk when and with who they choose, if they choose. :)

I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age and they tried Rittlen (SP Forgive) and my father said it sped me up, Coffee/C affine actually helps calm my mind which the Doctors said happens with some, weird I know, it's kinda like the little squirrel in the movie "Over the Hedge".

ADHD doesn't mean you have issues concentrating, it means you have problems concentrating on individual things one at a time which is why we are horrible day dreamers and terrible at completing single task in a timely manner, we bounce from thing to thing a lot, the new term for it is Squirrel!, I get that a lot, "oh, you squirreled".... So for me written todo list, mental discipline and self control are deadly important, I have worked my entire life getting this down and I am still working on it. I my professional life I am a problem solver/designer and there is nothing better than a project with a lot of moving parts because that is the level my brain works at, High stress with lots going on (retirement is going to be a challenge). In my personal world I always have 4 or 5 things going an I take a bit more time than most but I work it all out, I'll usually stop and think things through on one thing while working on another....

Other issues I have is I am nocturnal and I live on 4 to 5 hours of sleep a day...

Sorry, TMI, didn't mean to ramble, "Squirrel".....
Holy ****, you just described me to a T.

I think SC did in his OP, but I got distracted half way through reading it.

Self diagnosed something or other....

My mom is a former educator that used me to test all kinds of learning stuff. But, I don't think they even had ADHD as a diagnosis back when I was a kid so no medication or accommodations for me. Earlier this year I finally finished my Math 100 course and at the end of this month I start my final Math 114 course which will complete my bachelors degree program just before my 59th birthday. Oh what a different path I could have taken if I had just stuck with college once in the half dozen times I started.

Bah,

John
No, they just called us hyperactive and made it out like we were bad kids.

Oh, and hit us with books.

Back