Alright Gentlemen,

ranch23

Active User
Registered
Haven't seen this answered or asked. How do you "store" your magnetic bases, with indicators attached?

I stick them to anything that they will stick to...

Stuck to the lathe or mill. Or the side of my tool box. Out of harms way of cores.

i don't take mine apart. but like the others, i put it anywhere it sticks

As a side note. Magnets will hold there strength a lot longer if stored stuck to metal. Where I used to work we had a machine that used high end magnets to hold the work. They came with a plate stuck to them. and a note to use the plate when storing or stick them to the side of the machine.

As a side note. Magnets will hold there strength a lot longer if stored stuck to metal. Where I used to work we had a machine that used high end magnets to hold the work. They came with a plate stuck to them. and a note to use the plate when storing or stick them to the side of the machine.
That was what I was wondering, thanks fellas.

That's for alnico magnets. Neodymium magnets don't need keepers.

I store mine on the head of the post of my mill. I have several bases that are handy for lots of things, like holding welding and clamping jigs or on the shop press.

It might be worth noting, if you haven't noticed, that strong magnets don't stick to sheet metal as strongly as chunks of iron with more mass. So, stuck to the side of sheet metal toolbox or even the shroud of the lathe head, they can be knocked off inadvertently. Or, if stuck to sheet metal when using the indicators, they can scoot.

Back