And You Thought You Were Having A Bad Machining Day

I had a friend lose her job and her last paycheck of $2500. No lawyer would touch it as they wouldn't make enough money on the case. They all told her it was illegal to hold the check, but there was nothing she was able to do about it in the end since she wouldn't go to court on her own.
No need to go to court. File a complaint with the state labor department. You don't need a lawyer for that.

Last edited:
I would think that not getting my last check would lead to broken hands and legs at the least.
Thanks ron

First major, deducted from pay little at a time, Second time, full deduct from pay owed and no longer working there in other words you are fired and by the way you do not get a departing check.

Except in every state I've worked in that would be illegal. Employer can get in some real hot water for not paying what's owed.

Except in every state I've worked in that would be illegal. Employer can get in some real hot water for not paying what's owed.
Usually you can call "wage and hour" which is either a state or federal agency, I'm not sure. They would get your money. If not, they would fine and/or file suit against the company. There is a statute of limitations and I think it's 6 months or a year. Been a long time but I used them once for getting my last pay check from a shop I worked at. The owner was mad I quit. I even gave my two weeks. He thought he could get away with it because I was a kid at the time. NOT!

Helper gone now :)

Took out a 3" face mill and both belts on the VMC.Came within .05 of hitting the vise.

A few weeks ago a run of parts disappeared. The parts, work order, everything. He almost went then, but the owner kept him. This time my boss fired him before the owner got in today.

I'm going to miss him for one reason and one only, he was helping me learn Solidworks. But I'm starting a class next month anyway.

And you will never guess what I get to do now. Replace the belts, make a new fixture, and finish the run of parts.

Sometimes I wish I would have never let them know I'm mechanically inclined.

tmp_21887-20160511_0605111349409033.jpg

Last edited:
Not me but a shop I worked at:
I was in the drafting room when there was a loud "BOOM" and the whole building shook! (60 x 120 - 2 stories) Seems one of the CNC "operators" had chucked up a piece of 2" O.D. brass in the 4 axis turning center and left about three feet hanging out the back of the chuck... When it spun up to speed it noodled, whacked the floor (dug a 6" inch deep trench_) and jacked the whole machine out of it's bed... Destroyed the bearings and bent the spindle. Nearly new machine and it was down for almost 6 months and was never "right" after the rebuild. Yea, he didn't work there any longer...
Mark

Reading this makes me cringe - I'm pretty new to this hobby, several months ago I chucked up a long section of 1" with about 4' sticking past the lathe spindle unsupported and spun it to 1000 rpm. The lathe shook and rattled terribly (to me) and scared the expletive out of me. Since then I've read a story of a guy killed doing that and now this.

Thanks for the reminder, it really does remind me to think carefully what I'm doing.

Back