Anybody watch Mr Pete on Youtube?

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by Armor, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armor

Armor Active Members Active Member

City:
    Broken Arrow
    State:
    Oklahoma
  2. Chucketn

Chucketn Active Member

City:
    Jonesborough
    State:
    Tennessee
    I like Mr.Pete's videos.
    BTW, anyone else having problems loading u-tube videos today?

Chuck

3. Charley Davidson

Charley Davidson Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Murfreesboro 30mi. south of Nashville
    State:
    Tennessee
    Wow!!!!! Myself and thousands of others have learned & will continue to learn from him. Where's your youtube channel so we can learn from the real master?

4. righto88

righto88 Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Morristown
    State:
    Tennessee
    He has the best machine shop tips on you tube that I have found. You know he is limited by trying to video
    and teach at the same time. I find him a wealth of real knowledge. If we only knew what he has forgot we would
    be ahead of the game.

5. David

David Active Members Active Member

City:
    Lufkin
    I have to tell you, I have had several shop teachers in my time and they knew their *****. I have a tremendous amount of respect for each one. I think Mr. Pete is doing a great service for those wanting to learn the trade. I think instead of putting him down we should give him a hand. His payment is how much?? Some video sales?? He is doing it because he wants too!

David

6. nolo

nolo Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Brookfield
    State:
    Connecticut
    Mr Pete may go as Tubalcain on youtube. But, he is not the Tubalcain you link to on wiki.

7. DMS

DMS Active Members Active Member

City:
    Santa Clara
    State:
    California
    If you watch the video, he (Mr. Pete) explains. Both men took their name from a character in the Christian Bible, a man who was purportedly the first metalworker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal-cain

He is pretty clear he is not the the same Tubalcain that wrote in Model Engineer, and who is more well known.

I have watched most, if not all his videos. All are good, some are great. I especially like is video series on grinding lathe tools, and I always send it to people asking about how to grind.

8. nolo

nolo Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Brookfield
    State:
    Connecticut
    I don't think he used the name to steal same name recognition from T. D. Walshaw. He mentions the name in early videos. Tubal Cain is from the Bible. I take him at his word that that is why he uses it.

9. architard

architard Active Members Active Member

City:
    Washington
    State:
    District Of Columbia
    Mr Pete did not steal his name. In one of his videos he talks about where he gets the nickname. Tubalcain is mentioned in the bible in Genesis 4:22 as a "forger of all things iron or bronze". In effect, the oldest iron monger known.

I can't remember if he addresses the other Tubalcain (T. D. Walshaw) in his video, or if it was posted in the comments but I am pretty sure he distinguishes himself from the other gentlemen.

I agree that he is a great teacher. I would not agree that he doesn't know ****. You must put this into perspective, he taught High school shop, where he was lucky enough to get "the kids" (as he always refers to them as) attention for 2 seconds to teach them something. As a beginner myself I find his videos invaluable to inspiring me to jump right in and try this stuff out. He may have to gloss over certain inaccuracies to hold peoples attention.

I also agree, his voice is eerily soothing. He could have gone into radio broadcasting.

10. David

David Active Members Active Member

City:
    Lufkin
    Lyle Peterson aka Mr. Pete or Tubal Cain

11. davidh

davidh Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Maple (near Superior / Duluth)
    State:
    Wisconsin
    frank, he's not teaching how to build a rocket ship. what he is showing is how he would do it. . . i find it interesting and some of his ways are the same thing i have done for years. . . . .

12. jfcayron

jfcayron Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Surprise
    State:
    Arizona
    And he is very much alive, unlike the other Tubalcain.
    His YouTube id is mrpete222

My other mentor is KEF791, Keith of Turnwright Machine Works. I cannot refrain from watching every single one of his videos.
    His approach is different; he is an active professional who takes the time to film many interesting jobs. I have learned SO MUCH! :tiphat: "jawdrop: :worship:

13. Alan Douglas

Alan Douglas Active Members Active Member

City:
    Cape Cod
    State:
    Massachusetts
    I've learned a lot by watching him. I think he fielded a question about the two Tubal Cains in one of the videos. There are not many instructors doing these demonstrations and I'm thankful he is putting the time and energy into this, rather than building models that only a few people will ever see.

14. Charley Davidson

City:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Now that made me laugh :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Love it:man::winner: Etard

15. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby Global Moderator Staff Member Supporter

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut
    This thread has bothered me a tad. I see it like this and ask it as a question.

If there are 10 people in a discussion and 9 are of the same opinion is not the 10th person entitled to his or hers? I believe this is what makes the world rotate.

"Billy G" :thinking:

16. Tony Wells

Tony Wells Administrator Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    I'll answer that, Bill. Yes.

17. joe_m

joe_m Active Members Active Member

City:
    Huachuca City
    State:
    Arizona
    Please provide that link. I'm not really a u-tube fan, but I'll watch a video now and then.

As for the initial topic - what seems like sloppiness or half-a$$edness (yes I made that word up. I can do that.) may just be decades of experience. My grandfather was a carpenter and by the time he retired he had calibrated eyeballs that could tell you if something on the other side of the room was 1/32 or 3/64 longer than it should be. I'd expect someone who's been machining for so long would also develop a "feel" for things that were done day after day and would instinctively know just how much more to nudge this or feed that without breaking out the laser micrometers.

18. Newmetalmark

Newmetalmark Active Members Active Member

City:
    Milton
    State:
    Connecticut
    Yeah, like Joe_M just said- experience teaches the finesse of workshop practices. After doing an operation for decades, he knows exactly how thick that tape was- and how much to compensate for it. Watch closely, and you will too.

19. Charley Davidson

City:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Yes again, But I and almost all the others felt they needed to defend Mr.Pete. I think the 10th guy was a bit brash & mean spirited about the whole thing. But I won't hold that against him.

The guy is freely & unselfishly giving his years of experience to anybody who chooses to gain from it, Why would anybody want to bash a man for that? If you don't like his style or think you can do better you should give it a shot but not just badmouth him.

I hope this thread does not end up getting out of hand & locked as there are many people who do not know of him yet and should get the opportunity to.

20. Wade8A

Wade8A New Member

City:
    Omaha
    State:
    Nebraska
    Being entitled to an opinion is one thing, denigrating and making disparaging remarks is quite another. I hardly see how that can be constructive.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.