[How do I?] Anyone make their own undercoat spray wand tips?

Thank @solo for asking the question..... and everyone else for the responses.

I've been wanting one, and cannot find anything reasonable, so have thoughts of building one too. I have seen one home-brew attempt, but it was pretty ugly in use. More like a garden hose spraying too much liquid everywhere, no atomization at all. Wasted product and the vehicle a dripping mess.

I can pick up the spray wand and multiple tips (flexible, angled, etc) at the local PA (like harbor freight) for around 20-30 bucks. Made specifically to do things like inside frame rails, doors, rockers, etc.

Can you post a SKU part number or link. I cannot find one on their site.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
I use a pressurized paint pot and an old conventional paint gun I modified. Attached a 4 inch length of 1/4 inch steel tubing to the nozzle of then and drilled it out to 1/4. Adjusting the paint pot pressure, usually about 20 psi determines the fluid rate and about 20 psi on the gun to blow it out.
Works great, did my nieces car in about 15 minutes. Used a Schutz gun before but you were steady filling the canister.
Manage to get about a gallon on my pickup frame, Ford so nob point spraying an aluminum body.

Greg
Actually, aluminum corrodes just like steel does. It just makes aluminum oxide instead of ferrous oxide.

Chip the paint on the aluminum body and it WILL start to corrode. Aluminum kind of protects itself as the AlO2 creates a barrier to more oxygen getting to the Al underneath it, but it will progress from the edge and spread under the paint like a spiderweb.

Fluid film is great for this purpose. Spray the body like you would the frame and no worries.

My 2016 Lariat gets undercoated every year and not a lick of corrosion/rust anywhere. Thats saying something for an Atlantic Canada vehicle….

Last edited:
Thank @solo for asking the question..... and everyone else for the responses.

I've been wanting one, and cannot find anything reasonable, so have thoughts of building one too. I have seen one home-brew attempt, but it was pretty ugly in use. More like a garden hose spraying too much liquid everywhere, no atomization at all. Wasted product and the vehicle a dripping mess.

Can you post a SKU part number or link. I cannot find one on their site.

Thanks,
Brian
Nope. Bought mine many years ago. Wouldn’t help anyways as PA is Canadian only. I just picked mine up off the shelves one day, so they might not be online or possibly discontinued.

Places like napa and such also sell them. Something like a search for “undercoating door wand” should turn up lots of options in the 20-30 range.

For example: https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/UPT...VBWOcJa0UwtaReAL3fhoCQU8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wouldn’t help anyways as PA is Canadian only.
Yup. Me too! :)

Thanks for the NAPA link..... but that's just a wand, I'll need to find out what sprayer that attaches to.

Brian

Yup. Me too! :)

Thanks for the NAPA link..... but that's just a wand, I'll need to find out what sprayer that attaches to.

Brian
You orginally asked about nozzles, so thats why I posted on nozzles.

If you want the gun and all the fixings, you’re going to be spending more than 20-30 bucks. Count on closer to 100-200 range.

I’d recommend you take a stroll through your local PA store and see whats on the shelves. Only caveat is if you’re some place like BC they probably won’t have a lot of options for undercoating tools.

or, go search ebay. Lots of inexpensive items there…

Last edited:
Back