Arbor Press anvil/daisy wheel

I recently cleaned up an old Greenerd 3A and had a new daisy wheel made for it.
A friend made a DXF file for me and I had one laser cut.
Dunno what brand yours is but Greenerd is still in business. I looked them up and they had a drawing with the dimensions of the wheel there

Attachments

• 2142024134110.jpg
    2142024134110.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 15
so you're the one who made the snailplate! I've been referencing your work for ages everytime this comes up, but without being able to remember who did it. Now I just have to remember who did it until the next person asks :D
I’ve had the Greenerd 3 1/2 for about 35 years. I made the plates back then and to tell the truth I can’t remember whether I saw the idea in one of the shops I was working at or if I dreamed it up. Doesn’t really matter I guess. What I do remember is I found the 3 1/2 at a machinery dealer who was going out of business. He made me a really good offer. The only catch was it had a 4” thick steel table mounted on it which weighed 650 lbs. That didn’t include the arbor press or the stand. All I had to haul it the 100 miles home was a Ford Ranger. So I laid it down in the bed and headed home. It was all the little truck could handle, but I made it.

I picked up the larger 5S at an auction at the Diamond Match company. I almost sold the little one when I picked up the 5S, but I’m glad I didn’t. I’d be lost without both of them. They are almost a must have for working on machine tools.

@intrepid - the original cast table on my Dake 3A (5 ton) is 1.625" thick.

This guy is making them out of 3/4" ... so looks like that would be fine:
I have his plate on a smaller arbor press - it's decent.

@tailstock4 - Love the snail plate! What a fantastic idea. Added that to my list!

@intrepid - the original cast table on my Dake 3A (5 ton) is 1.625" thick.

I have his plate on a smaller arbor press - it's decent.

@tailstock4 - Love the snail plate! What a fantastic idea. Added that to my list!
I like it but the problem on my press is it would be short to center the ram. I'm going to need 10"

Again, the dimensions on mine came from Greenerd. The wheel sticks out about 1/2" beyond the base. So I say measure from the center pin to 1/2" beyond the base and double it to get the correct OD of your plate.
A couple of other thoughts: my #3A has a deeper throat than the #3. So make sure your wheel will rotate and not rub the back of your base.
Also, I think you said your press is 5 ton?
For a 5 ton I can't imagine you'd need the plate thicker than 1" thick.
Mine 3 ton is 3/4" thick.

Again, the dimensions on mine came from Greenerd. The wheel sticks out about 1/2" beyond the base. So I say measure from the center pin to 1/2" beyond the base and double it to get the correct OD of your plate.
A couple of other thoughts: my #3A has a deeper throat than the #3. So make sure your wheel will rotate and not rub the back of your base.
Also, I think you said your press is 5 ton?
For a 5 ton I can't imagine you'd need the plate thicker than 1" thick.
Mine 3 ton is 3/4" thick.
Again Thanks. As you can see but not real clear, from the photo, the distance from the center hole to the outside of the ram is about 4.24" So, I would need 8.5" to just get to the outside edge of the ram. I suppose 9" would be what I need?

Looking again at the one on feabay that @wachuko recommended it may be my ticket. Would save me a lot of work! https://www.ebay.com/itm/3322874429...uid=PP5xkECFQni&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY.

Attachments

• IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Looking at your photos, I'm thinking you want an 11" plate - IF you are confident the plate won't rub against the body of the press. From here it appears you would have about 1/8" clearance back there with an 11 incher.

I like it but the problem on my press is it would be short to center the ram. I'm going to need 10"
Ah - I didn't mean to imply that the eBay one would work for yours...was just saying it was decent in/of itself in case anyone else was considering it

Yes, I think you'd want the plate to at least be large enough to reach the outside edge of the ram. IMO I would go as big as you can physically fit before hitting the back spine. I realize you have machining limitations to make something that size though

Looking at your photos, I'm thinking you want an 11" plate - IF you are confident the plate won't rub against the body of the press. From here it appears you would have about 1/8" clearance back there with an 11 incher.
Okay, I just walked down to the shop and took another measurement. 11" would just clear. That will be a lot of cutting and milling but should be doable. However, my lathe is only 10". Will have to think this out a little more.

I believe most -stock- daisy wheels are cast iron... like the one I broke

STEEL ones are much tougher. Going down a thickness is reasonable.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back