Arbor Support Outer Brace Swapability

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Somehow the no26 outer brace is often available. My buddy has 1 - but it won't fit his 24 as is. He sent me a tracing as it is a great start for making my own 24 version.
OUTER BRACE 26 vs 22.jpg
26 vs 22 comparison is above.
Well, the pictured 22 version fits the 24 table! Height wise, the 22 is 4"min of the no24 abilities. More pics to follow.

Last edited:
Nice fit, this 22 version I just received!
20210423 01.jpg

But it does have it's limitation with the table all the way down.

20210425 03.jpg

Brockwood,
At some point would you consider providing any data, tracings, sketches, prints, etc. Please.
I've got a VN22LU which is now operable. Someday I need to tear her down and scrape her in.
It'd be nice to have a brace. Something close to OEM would even be better.
Thanks for thinking about providing this data!

Daryl
MN

If anyone is looking for a larger outer brace, I believe the former owner of Gallery of Machines in Marathon NY has one (at least he did when I bought a 22L outer brace). I'm not sure which mill it would fit though. I bought the smaller one in the picture attached.

Attachments

• Van Norman outboard supt..JPG
    Van Norman outboard supt..JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I might be.
Depends on the size and price?

Daryl
MN

pjb, did the brace you bought fit your mill? To my limited understanding, the 22 & 24 only have 1 dovetail.

I bought the 26 version from my friend, because he found a 24 in Houston. I'll be delivering the 22 version I have to a friend (also in Houston).

This is where I'm at with getting drawings together.20220411 22 24 26 00.jpg

Tracings are nice - but are only a general guide. They are 26 & 24. Between them is an accurate representation of the 22.

My 26 was delivered with a sizable chunk of hand fitted steel for the purpose of converting it to work on my 24.

20220411 22 26.jpg

This will be a fun project!

The only thing I can gather is that some 22s used a double dovetail!

Yes, there seemed to be some crossover point where more modern 22L's have the "box" dovetail style (see manual http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2109/22121.pdf which has the newer style, also with other improvements like splined shafts in the ram gears rather than just keyed shafts, etc.).

Back