Atlas Clausing 4804 Spindle Won't Lock

The spindle comes out of the right/chuck/tailstock end.

The back gears will probably run with one broken tooth but you won't be doing the mating back gear any favors.

As the gear is cast iron rather than Zamak which it is in the somewhat similar Atlas machines, it can probably be fixed if you have or can get access to the appropriate welding equipment and gear hob. But whether that will be cheaper rather than more expensive depends upon a bunch of variables. I would personally first look for a used replacement. According to the 4800 manual, the part number changed from Gear DL-220 to Gear Assembly DL-220S at serial number 16673. However, the parts of the assembly probably consist of the DL-220 Gear plus the direct drive pin and detent components. Which may have been the only way they sold it to begin with. We do have the Clausing drawing of DL-220 gear. Which you will need if you try to repair it as it gives the gear tooth details.

The machine model number before the Atlas purchase was 100 Mk 3. It's parts list gives the bull gear part number as DL-218. So the two may not be interchangeable. You will need to call Clausing and ask before you start looking for a used replacement.

Hi all,

I very recently picked up an old 4804 and have begun the process of getting it back into running condition. First order of business seems to be to replace the spindle bearings, as they are without a doubt roached. After that, it's mostly a lot of cleanup, oiling, and other setup to get it dialed in.

I noticed the spindle locking issue when trying to remove the chuck. I tried the method of engaging the back gears with the lock pin engaged. However, I believe the key for the large spindle gear must have sheared, as the spindle and chuck rotate (albeit with resistance) when the large spindle gear and belt pulleys are locked by the back gears.

Given that the pulley assembly and spindle are no longer fixed to one another, I'm having trouble thinking of a good way to lock the spindle to remove the chuck without high potential for damaging something. Any ideas?

You ever figure out how to pull the spindle gear on the left off? I'm fighting this issue w/ my 4804 right now.

Roberts reply just about yours.. says it goes out the right, towards tailstock.

Roberts reply just about yours.. says it goes out the right, towards tailstock

Yep understand that the spindle comes out toward the tailstock. However to get to that point, I need to remove the spindle gear on the left side of the headstock. There’s no way it can come off to the right.

AFAIK. all of the visible components inside the headstock that ride or run on the spindle except for the bearings are positioned in the approximate final location and the spindle is inserted from the right and slid through them. I am not sure how the Woodruff key in the bull gear is handled. Pay attention to the serial number as the manual that I just looked at shows five headstock versions. Probably the first thing to come off will be the gear on the left end of the spindle. The parts lists do not show how it is retained. Next is a threaded take up collar with 1/4"-20 set screw or two. Loosen set screw(s) and unscrew and remove collar. Next is a collar with one or two set screws. Loosen them. There is what looks like a set screw in the pulley. But it is an oil plus. However, play it safe and loosen the plug in case a PO didn't know what they were doing. With the direct drive pin pulled out, the pulley should be free to turn. Finally, there is a set screw in the bull gear hub that should be loosened. There are two 1/8" groove pins shown but all that I can figure them for is for locking the bushing in the pulley bore.

AFAIK. all of the visible components that ride or run on the spindle except for the bearings are positioned in the approximate final location and the spindle is inserted from the right and slid through them. I am not sure how the Woodruff key in the bull gear is handled. Pay attention to the serial number as the manual that I just looked at shows five headstock versions. Probably the first thing to come off will be the gear on the left end of the spindle. The parts lists do not show how it is retained. Next is a threaded take up collar with 1/4"-20 set screw or two. Loosen set screw(s) and unscrew and remove collar. Next is a collar with one or two set screws. Loosen them. There is what looks like a set screw in the pulley. But it is an oil plug. However, play it safe and loosen the plug in case a PO didn't know what they were doing. With the direct drive pin pulled out, the pulley should be free to turn. Finally, there is a set screw in the bull gear hub that should be loosened. There are two 1/8" groove pins shown but all that I can figure them for is for locking the bushing in the pulley bore.
Yep that first gear is where I'm running into an issue. Regardless of serial number all versions of the 4800 have the same set up for that gear. It's not enough room to get a gear puller onto it and the threaded on collar is to the right of it so I can't move it toward the tailstock.

Last edited by a moderator:
All that I can suggest is to loosen the set screw(s) in the takeup collar and try to back it off. Also, everything that I mentioned moving or loosening for removing the spindle should be done before you try another block of wood so as to drive the spindle through the gear, as the spindle will have to move to the right.

Yep that first gear is where I'm running into an issue. Regardless of serial number all versions of the 4800 have the same set up for that gear. It's not enough room to get a gear puller onto it and the threaded on collar is to the right of it so I can't move it toward the tailstock.
Have you managed to get the gear off the spindle? I have a Clausing 4804 and am also not able to remove the spindle gear. There is no set screw, only an unthreaded hole to the left of what appears to be the key slot.

Attachments

• 16270082191415628102467606961145.jpg
    16270082191415628102467606961145.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Back