Atlas milling machine power feed

b.dygger

Registered
Registered
Has anyone made a replacement MF-7 large scope, MF-8 small scope (table feed shaft) and MF-26 yoke?
I recently purchased an Atlas Milling machine with serial number between 005466 and 008123 (identified from manual as the serial number plate is missing). The MF-26 yoke is broken and the shaft (scope) is missing. I've

Atlas MM-shaft.jpg

had no luck trying to find replacements parts, so I considering making them. I'm hoping someone else has done this and perhaps has a drawing/design for the parts in question.

Atlas MM-shaft.jpg

I have made telescoping shafts for packaging machinery in the past. Typically the torque load on them is not too high, much like I would expect for your mill. I do not have any drawings, but I will do my best to describe what I did.

The universal joints were purchased from McMaster-Carr here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#universal-joints/=u3t03s

Telescoping shafts are not too hard to make. I typically made them from square tubing with machined stub ends welded in for the u-joints to attach to.

For very short shafts, I made the entire shaft. The inner shaft was made from 1/2" round stock, and had a 1/8" hole near the end for a roll pin. The outer shaft was 3/4" OD with a slightly over 1/2" bore. DOM tubing of the right size could be used too, if you wish. I then milled two slots in the side of the outer shaft, 5/32" wide, running along the length of the shaft, but directly opposite from each other. Slide the inner shaft into the outer shaft, then line up the hole in the inner shaft with the two slots in the outer. Press a 1/8" x 3/4" roll pin into the inner shaft. Now attach your u-joints and you are done.

You are most welcome. Let us know if you have further questions.

b.dygger,

I took a look, but the only drawing for parts of the drive shaft that I found is for MF-27. And it wouldn't help as MF-27 is made from MF-26. The only dimension on it is for the wrist pin holes, .2500"/.2505".

I appreciate the info, and your efforts to help, thank you.

Thank you Earl, this will be a big help. This is going to be one of my first 'machine' projects in over thirty years. Having recently retired from a non-manufacturing job I'm looking forward to re-kindling my love of metal working machine projects.

Back