Been relatively quiet here the last couple of months.

I've been growing into a new job. Plus, I don't like a cold shop, everything hurts more than it should. Oh, and I've been playing a video game (Starfield) a little too much, as is known to happen with Bethesda games (Skyrim, Fallout). Yep, I got excuses. I can't wait to get in the shop and roll up the door in a few more weeks. The space heater on the mill table just ain't helping.
games, computer games? we don't do no stinkin games... we have life to do.. games = no life.

what I've been doing. It's supposed to be RUSTIC... I don't do Rustic very well.
I am rubbing shellac on. I want to be able to feel the wood. so not a full french polish (no oil) but a rubber.
This thing is light without the drawers and slides behind the doors, but put them in, and I can barely lift it.
only 2 coats on the top.
Not liking the stain I have on the right of the top. Something must have been placed on it, and is now showing dark lines.
PXL_20240312_190032550.jpgPXL_20240312_190046811.jpg

Last edited:
Does the moderation team have usage statistics? Would be interesting to see if the forum is actually quieting down :guilty:

Spring clean up started last week ! Of course it continues thru out the year and nothing ever gets cleaned out . Just the way it is around here . 1 goes out , 3 come back . :big grin:

I have been known to indulge in computer games at times. Goes in streaks. But too much highly interactive stuff gets bothersome the arthritis in the wrist. Sometimes shooting a few zombies/goons/npc's is better than getting frustrated with real people. If that means not having a life, so be it. I'm retired :D But gotta agree with @pontiac428, the online stuff has no appeal.

Had my annual lube and oil change last week, (better known as a colonoscopy at the Mayo clinic). That included 1200+ miles of driving, and some time helping my father clean out the fuel tank on his diesel utility vehicle (algae in the fuel filter, repeatedly). And helping my brother with a few issues around his house, he is totally non-mechanically minded but willing to DIY home repair with some advise. His plumbing isn't up to standard, only one 1.5" vent stack poorly connected, so he has had repeated problems with plugged sewer lines.

I finished up the bridge crane just before the trip, so I'm between projects. Been doing a bit of cleaning and organizing in the shop, straightening up the electronics bench with that new shelf, etc, but haven't jumped into any new projects. Have the VMC to rebuild, and a several minor things on two of the lathes, not to mention the complete rebuild of the 10EE to tackle, just haven't sorted out which one appeals most as the next major project. Also have a grandfather clock that I need to get running, another project but not machining related unless something in the works needs repair.

Nice day here today, high temp almost 70 degrees. Cut down a few more of the dead sassafras trees in the back yard, and some yard cleanup of misc branches down from over the winter. Wife is still using a cane somewhat but was able to help. Grass is starting to turn green even though we're still getting an occasional frost at night. Need to haul the ZT mower into the shop and do the annual get it ready for spring work.

@woodchucker Very nice woodworking piece! What was the solution on the tear-out around the top inlay pieces?

Last edited:
I have been known to indulge in computer games at times. Goes in streaks. But too much highly interactive stuff gets bothersome the arthritis in the wrist. Sometimes shooting a few zombies/goons/npc's is better than getting frustrated with real people. If that means not having a life, so be it. I'm retired :D But gotta agree with @pontiac428, the online stuff has no appeal.

Had my annual lube and oil change last week, (better known as a colonoscopy at the Mayo clinic). That included 1200+ miles of driving, and some time helping my father clean out the fuel tank on his diesel utility vehicle (algae in the fuel filter, repeatedly). And helping my brother with a few issues around his house, he is totally non-mechanically minded but willing to DIY home repair with some advise. His plumbing isn't up to standard, only one 1.5" vent stack poorly connected, so he has had repeated problems with plugged sewer lines.

I finished up the bridge crane just before the trip, so I'm between projects. Been doing a bit of cleaning and organizing in the shop, straightening up the electronics bench with that new shelf, etc, but haven't jumped into any new projects. Have the VMC to rebuild, and a several minor things on two of the lathes, not to mention the complete rebuild of the 10EE to tackle, just haven't sorted out which one appeals most as the next major project. Also have a grandfather clock that I need to get running, another project but not machining related unless something in the works needs repair.

Nice day here today, high temp almost 70 degrees. Cut down a few more of the dead sassafras trees in the back yard, and some yard cleanup of misc branches down from over the winter. Wife is still using a cane somewhat but was able to help. Grass is starting to turn green even though we're still getting an occasional frost at night. Need to haul the ZT mower into the shop and do the annual get it ready for spring work.

@woodchucker Very nice woodworking piece! What was the solution on the tear-out around the top inlay pieces?
I wish it were nicer. I am very uncomfortable with the RUSTIC look. In some respects, I don't think I hit the mark, in some I do. Very square and basic. For the tearout:
I moved the template and cut a little over 1/32 off both inner sides. Came out fine.

I just got out too and did some tree work. I am losing one of my pin oaks. The bugs are eating it out. This past summer I saw all the bore holes... And they are working hard at killing it. May have 1 or 2 more years before I need to take it down. I had some heavy limbs come down.

As far as the games, you are just enough younger to have been caught by the game bug. For me, Atari had just come out, and we never got one in my family. I think I was 17 or 18 when they came out. So I just never got the bug. Besides working on computers all day... when I got home, it's the last thing I wanted to do.

Besides working on computers all day... when I got home, it's the last thing I wanted to do.
That’s with most of the guys I know who were in tech. I was not into games when I was young but when I watched the teenagers in the house playing Tomb Raider it looked like fun. Spent way too much time on Skyrim, Fallout then the sim Sturmovik Il-2. Now I’d have to do another major computer overhaul and I just don’t have the time for games anymore. :( There’s nothing in this world that isn’t stupid dangerous that gets that kind of blood pumping.

That’s with most of the guys I know who were in tech. I was not into games when I was young but when I watched the teenagers in the house playing Tomb Raider it looked like fun. Spent way too much time on Skyrim, Fallout then the sim Sturmovik Il-2. Now I’d have to do another major computer overhaul and I just don’t have the time for games anymore. :( There’s nothing in this world that isn’t stupid dangerous that gets that kind of blood pumping.
So your heart is pumping, but nothing else? I would say sports give me a jolt, even if I am getting on in years, and my muscles get the benefit of the blood. To me that seems like a false sense of blood pumping, you are getting stressed, but your body is not relieving any of it. Go do some heavy exercise. That will do you more good.

edit: gotta go, volleyball time. I used to work out every day 2 times a day. Racquetball for lunch instead of eating, and lifting weights in the evening. upper or lower body. Ski every weekend..
Then life changed, I played volleyball 4-5 times a week. Now only once a week... I've put on a lot of weight because I am not staying active like I used to... But playing a sport (solitary or team) always worked well to relieve the work week's stress. I never figured playing a video game would do that.... you need balance. My son used to only game, then he got into speed skating and , then climbing and hockey. He still games, everynight probably 11 - 1..

I had a knee replaced just after Thanksgiving. That slowed me down for a while.

I let a friend put his mini-excavator in my shop to do some repairs. He has had health problems, so it is going on three months now. He's supposed to come over tomorrow to do some welding, and I hope he can get the whole thing done by the weekend.

I have an Onan 218 to assemble and put back in a garden tractor when the shop opens up. Once that is done I hope to test out my VFD installation on the 1340 Metal Max lathe that I installed over a year ago!

Back