[How do I?] Bending 5/15" solid rod

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've been handed a project where I need to make maybe 30 U-shaped bends in 5/16" solid rod. The radius will be about 6 inches, with straight legs about 12"-14" long
I have a bench mounted ring roller and a floor mounted bender. Also have oxy/propane.
The stated capacity of the ring roller is 1/4" and the floor mounted bender is too small to make a 6" radius bend.
I was thinking of making a jig, basically a plate with some means to secure the stock while the free end is curved around.
Having never bent 5/16' rod I have no idea how much force might be needed.

IMG_8259.jpg

Heat it up if needed and bend it . A simple jig like you said will work great !

Thanks Dave, I'll pick some up some stock on the weekend and see how I get on.

You might try making your bending pins 'T'shaped, (on your lathe) to keep the rod from slipping out as you bend. Yes, once a rod is bent, warm it so it relaxes a little, when it cools it will have less tendency to straighten out. I use warm, but really it stakes quite a bit of heat to let it relax.

You might try making your bending pins 'T'shaped, (on your lathe) to keep the rod from slipping out as you bend. Yes, once a rod is bent, warm it so it relaxes a little, when it cools it will have less tendency to straighten out. I use warm, but really it stakes quite a bit of heat to let it relax.
Thanks Tom, that's a great suggestion!

If I could draw a picture I would Dave and if I could get the material out to you I would too ! :) Although I'm sure propane would work , map gas burns a little hotter if needed .

I've been handed a project where I need to make maybe 30 U-shaped bends in 5/16" solid rod. The radius will be about 6 inches, with straight legs about 12"-14" long
I have a bench mounted ring roller and a floor mounted bender. Also have oxy/propane.
The stated capacity of the ring roller is 1/4" and the floor mounted bender is too small to make a 6" radius bend.
I was thinking of making a jig, basically a plate with some means to secure the stock while the free end is curved around.
Having never bent 5/16' rod I have no idea how much force might be needed.
Could you fab a 6" die for your floor mounted bender? I just bought a new Hossfeld No. 2 with a nice selection of dies and they make a 6" die that would make this job pretty straightforward bending either cold or hot. I suspect 5/16" won't take an inordinate amount of force to bend cold, but it''ll likely be fairly stout depending on how you end up bending it. As others have suggested, heating it makes the job quite simple. I'd suggest a rosebud on an oxy/acetylene torch. I'd do that or use my forge in my own shop if the Hossfeld wouldn't handle it easily cold.

Could you fab a 6" die for your floor mounted bender? I just bought a new Hossfeld No. 2 with a nice selection of dies and they make a 6" die that would make this job pretty straightforward bending either cold or hot. I suspect 5/16" won't take an inordinate amount of force to bend cold, but it''ll likely be fairly stout depending on how you end up bending it. As others have suggested, heating it makes the job quite simple. I'd suggest a rosebud on an oxy/acetylene torch. I'd do that or use my forge in my own shop if the Hossfeld wouldn't handle it easily cold.
I may be able to make a larger die. I'm not sure my cheapo floor bender has the capacity for a 6" radius die. I would like to build a Hossfeld style bender but that's #291 on my ever expanding project list.

Back