[How do I?] Bending 5/15" solid rod

I may be able to make a larger die. I'm not sure my cheapo floor bender has the capacity for a 6" radius die. I would like to build a Hossfeld style bender but that's #291 on my ever expanding project list.
I guess it would depend on the spacing on your bender and the swing and all. I can appreciate your to-do list ranking system! Those lists seem to just do nothing but grow - you finish one and find that like 8 more have popped onto it!

Hot roll is a tad easier to bend and doesn't crack as easily but does not have the smooth finish.

Hot roll is a tad easier to bend and doesn't crack as easily but does not have the smooth finish.
For the project, the finish isn't terribly critical so hot rolled would be fine.

You could use a 2x8 trace your radius and cut it. I use wood all the time for that purpose. 5/16 will bend easily cold. Problem with heat is it’ll spot bend and not give a nice radius if not done evenly, and weakens the metal.

I have bent hundreds, if not more, u-bolts with material diameters from 1/8th" to 2". You really need to make a jig. Machine a disc.....don't use pins. Bend them hot and they will come out consistent. If you choose to bend cold, the rate at which you bend the material will have to be constant or they will be different sizes. You'll need to experiment a bit on the die diameter if you bend cold. Rig some type of clamp to hold the starting end to the die where you want the bend to begin, pull consistently to a stop on the jig. Good luck.

Last edited:
You will have no problem cold bending 5/16" rod. I usually look for the closest cylindrical object to use as a form . I large coffee can is close to 6" in diameter. If you fill one with concrete, you will have a quick and dirty form. If you need a tighter radius, slightly under bend and finish the bend off the form. If you need a larger radius, over bend and open up slightly. There will be some spring back so you will need to compensate for that.

To avoid bending your straight legs, slip a piece of pipe or tubing over each leg. 1/4" pipe will work well. I always leave extra length on the legs and cut them to final length after the bend.

I did some measurements of the existing product and it turns out it's 1/4" material in a 9.5" diameter. So that means I can use my ring roller to make the curved bits.

Please post the outcome of your project. I would like to see how this was done .

Make a wood form to bend it around and you'll get nice smooth results

Back