Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

Well, I'm not sure what is going on.

I was programming the WJ and got to one of the 'A' parameters I couldn't get to. It simply skipped over it. Then it skipped over large chunks of values that according to Mark's programming guide I need to/should modify.

Tomorrow I will move one of my macs out to the garage and see if it needs a software update or something. :(

Hitachi WJ200 VFD - Access to all programming parameters via the keypad.

On power up, The keypad will light up and you will then be able to go into the PROGRAMMING mode. Use the program guides to determine how to make menu and keystroke settings for operating parameter changes if you are not using the ProDriveNext software. Before you can make "High Level" parameter changes and see the programming parameters "Full Display" you must first make the following to changes to the default parameter values:

1. Change B031 to "10". This unlocks all the high level program functions for editing.
2. Change B037 to "00" for full display of all functions. You must press both the up and down arrows to access single-digit edit mode since this feature is not accessible in the default basic display.

Without doing this first, the default WJ200 VFD settings limit access to changing many of the program parameters via the VFD keypad. This is the Security Lock Mode described in Section 3-53 of the manual and restriction of Display Related Parameters Section 3-57. These restrictions are not in place if you are programming through a computer with the ProDriveNext software, unfortunately the Hitachi software only runs on PC systems. So to run on a Mac you would needs some form of Windows emulation program. Since I use the software to set up the wj200 VFDs, I have not encountered this problem. But on one of my recent installation of a WJ200 for a plate roller system, this issue came up when the owner tried to make some parameter changes.

Will get back to it this morning. Big thanks Mark! :)

FYI for those with WJ200s: In order to get to the B031 parameter, you have to set/change the B037 parameter FIRST. Kinda backwards, but you can figure out how I discovered this... :)

Update: I have the chuck spinning and the speed control working. I forgot to add the diodes for directional control using the JOG function. Oops...working on that now. :rolleyes:

Done.

VFD Installed.jpg

Your BPA chuck makes your lathe look small dang. Love the control panel, looks like you upgraded some of the hand wheel knobs and levers, nice looking lathe its DZ clean. I look forward to your report on threading at low speeds.

You should see it spinning in high gear @ 90 Hz. :D

I basically made a new panel to replace the original and sourced most of the hardware from Automation Direct. I added a FWD/REV switch to the JOG circuit so I can tap at 'really' low speeds. And the two-stage braking appears to work fine with this big honking chuck. I bought some more of those chrome spinner handles from Griz for the carriage and crossfeed, and made some slightly longer/fatter knobs for the feed and thread levers. Got tired real quick of bashing my knuckles into the apron.

I have a few more mods in mind for her, but at least the big one is out of the way.

Back