Black Box 750W Servo Motor Prototypes released for Beta testing.

The Custom Crafter

The Custom Crafter
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I released 2 of the new Black Box version prototypes for Beta testing today.
1.0 HP 750 Watt Computer Controlled Servo Motor.

Special offer for The Hobby Machinist members:
Mention this forum and I will include the drive pully/sheave of your choice at no extra cost.

These are first version fully Alpha tested prototypes.

They are selling at reduced price because if you buy it, you are Beta testing it.
We will back you with a 180 warranty but expect you to work closely with us
should anything fail.

Find them here:
https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...or-external-1-0-hp-10-nm-torque-300-4-500-rpm

b1.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

Im down for some testing, I only have one question.

Will the procedure shown in this video for start/stop work with this new control setup?

Im assuming the electronics are all the same just in a different layout, but I wanted to double check before ordering.

I would of course set it up as configured first before modifying as per Beta testing.

That is my build/lathe. Yes basic electronics are the same. where do you want the stop/start
function wire;
Exiting the main PCB housing or an extra switch on the control box?
I will look at fitting it and get back to you.
Also the RPM selector label for the 1500 will arrive in a few days.
There are other color options as well.
Dan

Last edited:
That is my build/lathe. Yes basic electronics are the same. where do you want the stop/start
function wire;
Exiting the main PCB housing or an extra switch on the control box?
I will look at fitting it and get back to you.
Also the RPM selector label for the 1500 will arrive in a few days.
There are other color options as well.
Dan
A switch on the control box would be great, you could also leave it hang free and I can install it where it suits me during install.

Would it be possible to get different cable lengths? The cables to the control box (The little box with control pad) I would need to be roughly 18" and the motor wires roughly one foot.

I would be more than happy to include the installation in my lathe thread. You can view that here:

And my mill thread when time allows. I say when time allows as Im switching back and forth between the two trying to keep one or the other up to be used for working on the other.

Let me know how/when and we'll go forward.

The wires between the main housing and the control housing are limited by the display ribbon wire.
It's 22" long. After entering the housings there is about 15" left. I say 10" because it's always better
to have extra versus being short.
The original ribbon wire was about 6" total and did not allow placing the display outside of the
main housing. It took an order of 500 to get the manufacturer to extend the wire. A better version
would be a round 7 wire cable. That will have to be a year from now. In the time being, this wire has
only simple electrical functions. There is no need for shielding. I suppose one could solder in longer wires.
A new issue has come up. The display sticker, switch cover diaphragm has come loose on some of the
samples I have built. The issue being bonding to plastics. This would only take a few days to isolate
but I have burned through all of these stickers. The new version has been in manufacture for 2 weeks now.
It should arrive within 2 more weeks. There is no guaranty as small orders of less than 10,000 tend to get
pushed out of the way for larger orders.

I can send you this one today;
20230820_084718.jpg

Just say so and I will place it in stock here:
https://www.servomotorkit.com/produ...or-external-1-0-hp-10-nm-torque-300-4-500-rpm
Send me a text at 831 421 2669 with your name and interest or just your HM member name.
That way we can time it within an hour so the wrong person does not buy it.
If the label fails, I will send you another face plate for free when the labels arrive.

There is a different version. See the face plate below.
20230820_084729.jpg

The speed pot is separate and can be placed in your existing housings up to 28" from the control unit.
This is the first one made and the sticker is tight. It was done by the guy I hired to do the cad drawings.
I can build it with this for you instead if you want.

I went and looked at your lathe and mill builds. That is real nice work. Maybe you would like to
place the electronics in your existing housings. That is why I had the display made with longer
wires in the first place.
Thanks
Dan

The only switch I have is a small double pole, double throw toggle. It's not right for the application.
I can bring out the yellow wire from either housing. than you just cut the loop and install your switch
in the loop.

The only switch I have is a small double pole, double throw toggle. It's not right for the application.
I can bring out the yellow wire from either housing. than you just cut the loop and install your switch
in the loop.
Im going to need to re read and get a handle on this tomorrow.

Fighting a head cold and Im not really with it today. Looks good, Im just out of it.

Quick question, what is the LED light for?

Were on the same time zone so texting sounds like a good way to synch up for purchase.

The Led light is 5V DC. Use it as a light or use it to power a second tach.
It runs this tach found in many small lathes.
20230612_124252.jpg
20230612_124205.jpg

I have not been able to locate the manufacturer yet.
The universal tacks are 12 volt and suck. Actually this tack is not accurate either.
I have to much on my plate to have a custom version made.

Last edited:
in the loop.
Yellow wire sounds good, Ill find a switch that suits me.

Sent you a text just now.

As to the tach, Im using Touch DRO so no worries.

Back