Brass Jet Vs Aluminum Tool?

Slide a piece of silicone tubing over the screwdriver to keep it from slipping off the jet.

It sounding like Great white has been working on the carbs and that perhaps the jets are not corroded in place, but just wants to keep trying alternatives. If this is the case I would think a machined aluminum tool would work.

David

I would not use a soft HF screwdriver on an important part. If you damage the jet you will suffer a lot.

Will mine has removed lots of jets from motor cycle as well as outboard carbs. Haven't messed any up yet.

I hear the comments on the tubing idea, but there's just not enough room. The 6 mm jet juuuust barely clears the hole....

The tool will only be used a couple times to dial int he jetting on the bike.

Jets are not "frozen". There's a little torque to hold them in place obviously, but not an obnoxious amount. It's only brass in cast aluminum after all.

I'm going to try aluminum, probably some 6061 (since that's what I have lying around). I'd rather mar up a disposable blade that I can make more of than the precision fuel jet....

Last edited:
That
I don't have a clue on the size, but I gave a guy my Stromberg jet wrench. It wasn't for the 48 or 97 models, they are a different style. It looks as though it would be perfect for your need. Barely larger than the jet and about 1.5 to 2 inches long. Maybe a search on google.

It looked like this:
http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/screw-driver-attachment-for-carburetor-adjustment.html
but was all one diameter and much longer.
That would do, except the outside collar part won't fit in the float bowl hole to extract the jet. Not enough clearance. Literally only enough room for a blade.

why not just by a proper screwdriver. Or check out Chapman driver sets. http://chapmanmfg.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQ...wi4S_nIYuHHPO461k0s_gk3yFs1IpwRefEaAoBG8P8HAQ

Vlad

I would if the proper driver existed. It needs to be a common driver with stight edges. Closest I've seen yet are the aforementioned gunsmith screwdrivers. It also has to match the width of the jet or risk distorting it. Easier just to make one to the right spec.

Chapman doesn't have what I need. Even thier "metric motorcycle" kit is wrong. Metric bike don't have Phillips heads, they have JIS. Which, I've come to accept, are light years better than a Phillips screw. Phillips are designed to cam the bit out of the screw as torque increases. JIS is designed to make it grip harder as torque increases. In my experience, a Phillips bit will strip the screw long before a JIS. JIS just bears down and removed the screw. Even if JIS buggers the screw, its still out. Phillips buggers the screw and I'm off looking for drill bits and easy outs...

Last edited:
The carb rack is going back together today. I'll throw up some pics later and that might give a better perspective of what I'm dealing with.

I'm thinking I'll end up removing the float bowls to reject instead of using the bowl drain port. I've already replaced the screws with socket heads to make that easier. I'm still going to have to come up with a special tool to reach the jets, but with the bowls off I can at least use a "collared" type tip to stay on the jet. It's still going to be a PITA. That's just what you get with a set of v4 downdraft carbs I guess...

Back