Buy a small lathe while I wait for the PM lathe to arrive??

Often when people are letting go of their departed loved ones belongings it can be more about putting them into good hands than maximizing the amount of money received.

If she wants to give you deals on this stuff just explain you are part of a group that her late husband would have enjoyed and they you will sell what you don't use for a good price to fellow hobbyists.

What is likely to happen if you don't make a deal is someone will come and but that stuff cheap and sell it on eBay. If you can arrange something with her (even offering to give her a percentage of proceeds) it may work out well for both of you and your fellow hobbyists as well.

John

Often when people are letting go of their departed loved ones belongings it can be more about putting them into good hands than maximizing the amount of money received.

If she wants to give you deals on this stuff just explain you are part of a group that her late husband would have enjoyed and they you will sell what you don't use for a good price to fellow hobbyists.

What is likely to happen if you don't make a deal is someone will come and but that stuff cheap and sell it on eBay. If you can arrange something with her (even offering to give her a percentage of proceeds) it may work out well for both of you and your fellow hobbyists as well.

John

I did not think about that... She did mentioned that she was happy that it was going to someone that would use it and have fun with it... I really wanted to make sure she knew what she had and was not being taken advantage of... but thinking back on your comment, I sure hope I did not hurt her feelings...

She did mentioned that some of the tools were passed down from older machinist where her husband worked. The toolbox being one of those...

One last post and I will start an ownership thread in the ASIAN LATHES & MILLS section...

This was also included with the lathe... not sure what it is for.

IMG_2247.jpeg
IMG_2248.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

I went ahead and bolted it back to the bench. I still need to add some additional support in the back of the bench (triangulated supports) to make the bench more sturdy.

IMG_2250.jpeg

That is all for now... I cleaned it all, oiled it.. everything seems to be working smooth and tight... and stored all the tools in the drawers...

Aaron, what's the story on the older Enco lathes?
Were they made in Germany?

The Emco (M not N) were Austrian, the Enco brand (N not M) machines can be made in Taiwan or China depending on model and time period of manufacture. Enco is now a house brand of MSC.
My Enco 9x20 is from 1994 and was made in China but supposedly older ones were made in Taiwan. Jet has also sold a version of this lathe which was also made in Taiwan.

From what I've read copies of the Emco Compact 8 were being made in Taiwan, and China by the 1980s. These eventually evolved into the now common 9x20 lathes sold under a variety of brands, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Enco, Jet etc. The 9x20 is actually an improved design over the Compact 8, but being Austrian the Compact 8 was most likely built to a much higher standard of finish.

And guess which part I will be making first :rolleyes:... Just broke in my hand... I swear officer, it was broken...

Who am I kidding... ordering the replacement part from Grizzly... lol

View attachment 378450

View attachment 378451

Looks like you got a nice haul, you may have gotten an even better deal than I did. I got mine for $300, but it was missing most of the change gears, the steady rest and follow rest.

I've bought some parts for my Enco from Grizzly. Almost all have been a direct replacement, but I've had a couple that didn't work out. I think in these cases it is due more to my lathe being 27 years old and there having been some product updates over nearly 3 decades rather than the brand making a difference. Grizzly's parts service is easy and generally fast, I've had no trouble other than the odd part not being a direct replacement. The G4000 parts breakdown is pretty detailed so if you look at your part and compare to their diagram you should be able to tell if a part will be an issue. The bits I've gotten that didn't work out were cheap, and probably would have been identified as different if I bothered to compare my part to the diagram before ordering.

Lathe came with its manual and also a printout of the Grizzly G4000 manual.

I found the part in Grizzly for the half-nut lever.

Grizzly P4000711 - HALF-NUT LEVER V1

I just can't figure out how the heck it comes out... I have been searching the forum for instructions. A lot of information on replacement of the half nuts, but none of the threads, so far, talk about removal of this type of lever...

IMG_2241.jpeg

Edit: Never mind... I see it now. There is a cir-clip holding the lever in place. All this has to come apart to get to it... Lever is diagram number 711 and the cir-clip is diagram number 744

9x20 Lathe - Apron.jpg

Back a few posts ago, you were asking about "thing 1"and "thing2." These are lathe dogs. They're used when turning between centers. A backplate (or drive plate) is mounted on the spindle nose threads and the dog attached to the workplace with the screw. The "tail" of the dog goes into one of the drive plate slots.

Back a few posts ago, you were asking about "thing 1"and "thing2." These are lathe dogs. They're used when turning between centers. A backplate (or drive plate) is mounted on the spindle nose threads and the dog attached to the workplace with the screw. The "tail" of the dog goes into one of the drive plate slots.
Thank you. Now I can search here and in YouTube for the correct terms and see how is done. :encourage:

dog-and-drive-plate-exploded-1024x508.jpeg

LatheDog-1024x737.jpeg
betweenCenters-1024x555.jpeg

Last edited:
Back