Buy a small lathe while I wait for the PM lathe to arrive??

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have the opportunity to buy a Central Machinery 9"x20" geared head belt driven, bench lathe. Previous owner did not use it much before he passed away.

Would I be wasting my money or should I go for it?

If I should go for it, is 500.00 for it a fair price? Everything is there... including all the accessories that came with it still wrapped in that highly desirable oiled plastic bag (jk)...

IMG_7463.JPG

IMG_7462.JPG

IMG_7461.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

The PM will not be here until the end of this year or early next year... I keep looking around for something inexpensive that I can play with while I wait... what do you guys think?

If you got the funds and space for two lathes, I don't see why not? It could be a nice second op machine down the road, converted to some special purpose (CNC, toolpost grinding, etc.), or gifted to a friend/school as a welcome to the hobby (as I am doing with my first mill right now).

Central Machinery is Harbor Freight FYI. Will likely have some issues. Either enjoy it as-is or learn about the value you got out of the PM lathe when it arrives.

Okay. Thank you for the validation. Will stop by this week to pick it up. Not sure how sturdy that bench is, but it is included as well...

Metal Lathe for sale locally.jpeg

At least it will be better than the other one I was looking at... in terms of not acquiring just another project (which I tend to do often...)...

Lathe for sale-1.jpeg

That one might be better... but I am not looking for another project... I want something that I can play with now while I wait for my PM... I want to practice some of the stuff that I am reading about here, in the books I got, and the videos I have been watching...

Of course I have not told any of this to the wife... she will be so happy to see me get home with another pile of junk (her words every time I bring something...)

The bench and accessories are probably worth $500. By the end of the year, you'll have most of your big pieces of metal turned into small pieces of metal.

That’s exactly my setup, exact same bench. For the whole thing and little used that is a good deal. If I did get another lathe I’d not get rid of mine. Nothing fixes another lathe like a lathe.

C-Bag, do you know how much it weights? I will be unbolting it from the bench, so it is easier to load in the back of my truck... Wondering how much help I need to take with me, lol.

Last edited:
Back