CAD rendering software?

Ken226

Registered
Registered
What are you guys using for rendering CAD images?

Most CAD programs have basic rendering, built in, but they don't have many features.

For more advanced stuff, Keyshot and Renderman seem to be pretty popular, though pretty $$$.

Keyshot comes free with Alibre's flagship "Design Expert" CAD software, but I ended up getting "Design Pro", which doesn't come with photorealistic rendering.

I've been playing around with Simlab's free rendering program, "Composer Lite". It seems pretty solid so far.
The 150$ paid version, Composer Pro, can also do motion animation, but I havn't used it.

My practice models from Alibre, a camlock Stud and face mill:

And the image from Simlab Composer Lite:

My QC toolpost design, from Alibre CAD:

The Simlab Render:

Here's a lathe carriage stop I worked on the past couple days:

And the image rendered in Composer Lite:

I don't think Keyshot has a free version, but I hear that RenderMan from Pixar has a non-commercial free version. Anyone tried it?

Last edited:
The rendering looks excellent. Fusion certainly is alot of bang for the buck!

Curiosity getting the better of me, I gotta ask.

What is that thing?
Well, if you are a machinist, you'd call this a 3-axis horizontal manual milling machine with a router for a spindle. From a woodworker's perspective, it's a machine, powered by a 2HP router that will cut mortise and tenon joints, dovetails, box joints, etc. Some details here:

I'm curious about your Multifix models - are you going into production? I know there are Swiss, German and various Asian versions. What are you up to?

Well, if you are a machinist, you'd call this a 3-axis horizontal manual milling machine with a router for a spindle. From a woodworker's perspective, it's a machine, powered by a 2HP router that will cut mortise and tenon joints, dovetails, box joints, etc. Some details here:

I'm curious about your Multifix models - are you going into production? I know there are Swiss, German and various Asian versions. What are you up to?

I was guessing in the back of my mind that it was some kind of horizontal CNC router, but I'd never heard of such a thing. I could see the CNC router mechanicals in the linear bearings, but the horizontal spindle mount had me scratching my head. Very cool!

I've got a couple years to go before I can retire from my current job. When I do, I plan to go into production on something. Just not sure what yet.

I've been saving money, collecting tools, going to school and creating a library of designs that might be worth manufacturing, in anticipation of the day I can finally leave a job I pretty much despise.

My hybrid Multifix/Drehblitz design is one of my favorites. The 9° increments on the multifix and 12° on the Drehblitz always seemed, odd, to me. I designed mine with splines for 10° increments. A 36 position toolpost.

My reasoning for 36 positions:

The most common compound rest positions people use on a lathe seem to be 0°, 90° and 30°, (parallel, perpindicular and threading).

With the multifix or Drehblitz, if your compound is set to 30° for threading with the tool squared to the work, and you then move the compound to either 0° or 90° for another operation, none of the available tool positions will be square to the work without loosening the nut and adjusting the splined wheel.

It just seemed to me that the benefits of the multifix would be better exploited if the splines allowed a squared up tool position at each of those 3 compound positions, without having to crack loose the center nut. I'm still not sure it's a good idea, but I might make a prototype just to play with anyway. If I like it, I may set up a few machines to make some when I retire and move back home.

Last edited:
It just seemed to me that the benefits of the multifix would be better exploited if the splines allowed a squared up tool position at each of those 3 compound positions, without having to crack loose the center nut. I'm still not sure it's a good idea, but I might make a prototype just to play with anyway. If I like it, I may set up a few machines to make some when I retire and move back home.

You're ahead of me on this, but I have some comments to share. I have a medium-sized lathe - Precision Matthews 1340GT. It's a great machine. But the biggest drawback of these type of lathes is that the compound is pretty spongy. It is clearly the weak point in the execution of the design - for several reasons. So to regain rigidity, I designed and made a solid tool post substitute for the compound. It's a bolt-on substitute that significantly increases the rigidity of the cutting tool. I've documented my implementation here, and some others have copied it. The most recent post about this is here.

I can't remember the last time I had the compound on my lathe since I only use it for tapers. That said, I have acquired a couple of indexable tools with variable-angle capability to change the approach lead angle, since the QCTP tool is held precisely in line with or 90° to the spindle centerline. What I would love to have is the ability to put the tool at 30° for threading without putting the compound back on and sacrificing the rigidity - especially for threading ACME screws that are 30mm diameter, or even ultra-fine thread adapters for camera lens attachments.

That's a long way of saying that I like your idea of 10° spacing on a multifix-like QCTP. If you had it in production, I would probably buy it - that would depend a lot on the cost of the tool holders given my existing investment.

IMG_7210 (1).jpeg

Seems to me your biggest challenge with this is marketing. We can confer on that via DM if you'd like. I've had my own challenges getting my book on indexable tooling in front of potential users who I KNOW would benefit from it and save a bundle buying the wrong tools and inserts.

David

I've seen your solid toolpost in a few threads. I love it, and can definitely see the benefits.

That is a pretty extensive collection of Aloris holders. That would be a tall order to replace!

For me, I use the compound alot to cut conical shapes and tapers, so a solid toolpost would require lots of swapping out with the compound, otherwise the solid toolpost is superior in every way.

Unfortunately, I've got 18-1/2 years invested in a job that is very, very political. Every 4 to 8 years, it becomes a totally different animal, and I'm stuck with it for at least a couple more years, until I reach my employers minimum retirement age, before I can start up a manufacturing business.

I've got the funding for a few VMCs and turning centers in my savings, burning a hole in my pocket. I can't wait to get started, buy some machines and hire a few machinists, then start making those toolpost. But, I'd be giving up a good lifetime retirement pension if I didn't wait it out.
A long time ago, I used my engineering education to get into law enforcement. It was great for a long time, but these days, not so much. And, ya never know. A few more years, it could become a good job again.

For now, I'm at least 2 years away from starting up my manufacturing business. So, my toolpost idea is just a future possibility for now. Amongst others.

Last edited:

Wow...!!! David, this is impressive. How long did it take to digitize/reverse engineer the Multi-Router?

I don't own one but I used it a few years ago. Very capable machine except for the dust that it puts all over. Maybe a clever dust hood can be modeled. Unless it is patented there is nothing that can stop you or whoever gets these accurate drawings from competing with the current manufacturer of the Multi-Router.

Nice job indeed! COVID is giving you plenty of extra time to play...

Ariel

Wow...!!! David, this is impressive. How long did it take to digitize/reverse engineer the Multi-Router?

I don't own one but I used it a few years ago. Very capable machine except for the dust that it puts all over. Maybe a clever dust hood can be modeled. Unless it is patented there is nothing that can stop you or whoever gets these accurate drawings from competing with the current manufacturer of the Multi-Router.

Nice job indeed! COVID is giving you plenty of extra time to play...

Ariel
Yea, I had juryrigged a DRO install on the Multirouter 15 years ago and decided to re-design the DRO system to my now higher standards. LOL I decided to reverse engineer the entire machine to test my Fusion 360 skills and help the F360 team make some UI improvements and fix some bugs. Attached are the drawing files that illustrate the encoder/scale mounting and all the custom brackets that I just finished and are now at the anodizing facility.

Attachments

• MultiRouter DRO Drawings v48.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Back