CAD rendering software?

Yea, I had juryrigged a DRO install on the Multirouter 15 years ago and decided to re-design the DRO system to my now higher standards. LOL I decided to reverse engineer the entire machine to test my Fusion 360 skills and help the F360 team make some UI improvements and fix some bugs. Attached are the drawing files that illustrate the encoder/scale mounting and all the custom brackets that I just finished and are now at the anodizing facility.
I have a woodrat I modified with DRO on x, and z and a stop with a thousandths micro adjust on the x( mitutoyo mic head) . I also have a multirouter. With a top mounted router it is much easier to pick up lines ( for dovetails , mortises and tenons.) This is for wood work , light brass or aluminum. Definitely is messy.

Attachments

• 20211221_124423.jpg
    20211221_124423.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211221_124233.jpg
    20211221_124233.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
Spent some more time with Simlab Composer Lite today.

Now that I've figured out the lighting, effects and how to import models for scene setup, it's getting pretty easy to use.

Considering it's free and working well, I may as well uninstall my trial versions of of Lightray Tracer.

Here's an eccentric tool grinding jig I rendered up today.

Those are awesome Ken, very nice!

Just a practice assembly, practicing with the new CAD program today. A tomahawk with a built in wig splitter.

Last edited:
That's a long way of saying that I like your idea of 10° spacing on a multifix-like QCTP. If you had it in production, I would probably buy it - that would depend a lot on the cost of the tool holders given my existing investment.

David

You gave me an idea here, with that comment. I've been working on the mechanics of making it work for awhile now, brainstorming and modeling various possibilities.

Do you think a hybrid Multifix style toolpost that uses common Aloris type dovetail tool holders be something worth doing?

Last edited:
David, I knew you were a great machinist and using Visio but to now master Fusion 360. Amazing Quality Work!

You gave me an idea here, with that comment. I've been working on the mechanics of making it work for awhile now, brainstorming and modeling various possibilities.

Do you think a hybrid Multifix style toolpost that uses common Aloris type dovetail tool holders be something worth doing?
Anyone with a solid tool post mount would embrace that idea. Now, we’re probably talking about a market size you can count on both hands?

I’m trying to think through whether having _XA tool holder compatibility with a Multifix QCTP is an interesting proposition in general with a conventional compound setup. Personally, I don’t like having to rotate the compound or twist the QCTP around to adjust tool lead angles - both actions require a tool in hand and are non-deterministic wrt the actual angle achieved unless you slap on an indicator and tap it in. I would prefer to leave the compound at 30 degrees (for threading) or 45 (for chamfering) and the QCTP at precisely 90 to the spindle axis for parting. So I see a Multifix as one way to achieve that specific setup while still being able to alter tool lead angles without having to reach for wrenches and an indicator continuously. But I have high inertia in switching because I have 40 BXA tool holders (probably $800 with shipping), plus I have a few highly prized indexable tools that have integral BXA mounts such as the Aloris 77, 71, 22, and Dorian 881 I wouldn’t want to give up. I also know a lot of people are reluctant to go Multifix because making their own tool holders is not practical. So on the surface, an Aloris _XA compatible Multifix sounds interesting. As a venture capitalist I see a marketing challenge with this idea - neither fish nor foul. I also don’t understand if such a setup would be inherently more or less accurate/repeatable or rigid. I’d need to see some analysis here.

David, I knew you were a great machinist and using Visio but to now master Fusion 360. Amazing Quality Work.
Thanks. I took advantage of the Covid shut-in to make a full transition to Fusion 360. It’s been an intense and immersive learning curve for sure, but I am now Autodesk “master certified” (whatever that means? - laughing as I type this) and part of their “insider” program with a direct pipe to the product managers, testing upcoming releases, and providing specific product enhancement feedback on the 2D drawing facilities. And every day I pick up something new about the product. Looking forward to getting my 3D printer kit setup so I can take full advantage of the 3D models.

Back