CAD rendering software?

Anyone with a solid tool post mount would embrace that idea. Now, we’re probably talking about a market size you can count on both hands?

I’m trying to think through whether having _XA tool holder compatibility with a Multifix QCTP is an interesting proposition in general with a conventional compound setup. Personally, I don’t like having to rotate the compound or twist the QCTP around to adjust tool lead angles - both actions require a tool in hand and are non-deterministic wrt the actual angle achieved unless you slap on an indicator and tap it in. I would prefer to leave the compound at 30 degrees (for threading) or 45 (for chamfering) and the QCTP at precisely 90 to the spindle axis for parting. So I see a Multifix as one way to achieve that specific setup while still being able to alter tool lead angles without having to reach for wrenches and an indicator continuously. But I have high inertia in switching because I have 40 BXA tool holders (probably $800 with shipping), plus I have a few highly prized indexable tools that have integral BXA mounts such as the Aloris 77, 71, 22, and Dorian 881 I wouldn’t want to give up. I also know a lot of people are reluctant to go Multifix because making their own tool holders is not practical. So on the surface, an Aloris _XA compatible Multifix sounds interesting. As a venture capitalist I see a marketing challenge with this idea - neither fish nor foul. I also don’t understand if such a setup would be inherently more or less accurate/repeatable or rigid. I’d need to see some analysis here.

30, 45 and 90 are certainly commonly used angles. I hadn't considered 45 degrees when i came up with 10 degree spline increments. 15 degree increments would hit all of those angles though.

I'm pretty doubtful as to any significant advantages in rigidity and repeatability. The primary advantage would be tool-less angle changes and maybe a little cool factor.

I'm not even sure its mechanically feasable yet. I started modeling parts and creating an assembly this morning, and so far the challenges have been pretty entertaining. I think i've solved the challenges with the magnitude and vectors of forces, to allow for cam/dovetail engagement, but I've yet to come up with a mechanism through which the BXA holders can interact with the splines in the wheel part. I was thinking some kind of spring loaded shear wedge/pin inside the face of the toolpost dovetail, to engage the bxa holder and interact with the splines on the wheel.

I have a slot there for now, temporarily, but ill come up with something. I also need to come up with some adjustments to the model to allow for proper interaction between the toolpost body and the bxa holders height adjusters.

Thanks. I took advantage of the Covid shut-in to make a full transition to Fusion 360. It’s been an intense and immersive learning curve for sure, but I am now Autodesk “master certified” (whatever that means? - laughing as I type this) and part of their “insider” program with a direct pipe to the product managers, testing upcoming releases, and providing specific product enhancement feedback on the 2D drawing facilities. And every day I pick up something new about the product. Looking forward to getting my 3D printer kit setup so I can take full advantage of the 3D models.
Oh wow, I wonder if there's enough interest here for subforums for FreeCAD, F360, Solidworks, etc.

Also, I don't have any certifications but I've used F360 enough I'm no longer a complete beginner, so happy to help others where I can.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I wonder if there's enough interest here for subforums for FreeCAD, F360, Solidworks, etc.

Also, I don't have any certifications but I've used F360 enough I'm no longer a complete beginner, so happy to help others where I can.

I like this idea. It would be nice to have some CAD subforums here. Don't need a lot, Definitely Freecad and Fusion, as they are very popular these days. Perhaps also a few for some of the more popular $$ programs in common use. Perhaps Inventor, Solidworks, Alibre.

I'd be more than happy to help out on the Alibre subforum, answering questions and posting some video tutorials. Perhaps i'll start a separate post on the subject, to gauge interest.

Well, that is certainly cool for sure. Looks like you did a great job on the CAD drawing.

Thanks for sharing!

Well, that is certainly cool for sure. Looks like you did a great job on the CAD drawing.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

I just finished the PSRU gearbox and the constant speed oil pressure system. Heres another cutaway including the PSRU. Ill edit this post and add the Keyshot render when its finished processing. The higher resolution renders takes awhile, even with my 8 core 4ghz cpu.

Last edited:
Back