C'ADventures

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
For anyone who's ever wanted to or is currently trying to learn CAD I urge you to stick with it.
I struggled for several years with Fusion360 and finally gave up. I was turned me onto Alibre Atom3D and it's been a game changer for me.
Admittedly I did not put in as much time with Fusion as I have with Alibre so I can't say one is easier than the other. Only that something has clicked and I'm actually enjoying the CAD experience now.
Yesterday I was trying to turn a 2D DXF of nine parts into 3D models. And getting frustrated fast.
This morning I persevered and figured out the problems, fixed them out and successfully modelled the nine parts.
That's a really good feeling.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 164243.pngScreenshot 2023-03-09 164418.png

The problem I have is that a can draw brackets, etc. just fine, but assemblies of two or more that's where the problems begin. It appears to me that tutorials are lacking on items/functions that are the next step in learning CAD.

The problem I have is that a can draw brackets, etc. just fine, but assemblies of two or more that's where the problems begin. It appears to me that tutorials are lacking on items/functions that are the next step in learning CAD.
Are there no more advanced tutorials or videos on assemblies? I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

I gave up on Fusion 360 and went back to pencil and paper.

I had to really force myself to use CAD for a while - even for stuff I knew I could draw in 1/10th the time. Sketching will always be faster for a quick and simple part, though you can get close in speed as you become more proficient with CAD. BUT, when you want to create an assembly or even a complicated part, check fits, etc, CAD is much faster than the engineering drawing you'd have to do. You've just got to push through that inefficient period before you can be productive.

GsT

Are there no more advanced tutorials or videos on assemblies? I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
I haven't found any good ones that show multiple sliding and rotating assemblies or if they do it's where they don't go into a lot of detail like they do in the beginners ones.

Back