California Air Tools Compressor?

The CAT compressor is quite expensive here, the smallest one is north of 500$, that's why I'm being so careful about the purchase. I have 30 amp circuits and can also wire a special one, so it might work for me...

I bet it would work for you, Dabbler. I didn't mean to get down on the CAT compressor. It is very quiet, there is no denying that.

The CAT compressor is quite expensive here, the smallest one is north of 500$, that's why I'm being so careful about the purchase. I have 30 amp circuits and can also wire a special one, so it might work for me...
Dabbler, curious where you are and why they are so expensive??

I'm in Alberta. The only distributor within 500 miles is Home Depot. Their price for the 2HP model with the 4 gal tank is $398, but they charge an additional $150 for the special order handling, making it $548. The manager claimed ordering it online was cheaper, but wouldn't commit to what the final price might be.

The other ones on their online catalog are not actually available here, except for the model 10020C at $700. they reserve the right to limit what they will sell where... frustrating.

Guys I have the "GMC" 4610 version of the CAT your looking at. Yes It is unbelievably quiet compressor compared to any other I have been around. No problems in 2-1/2 years. It has 2 outlet quick connects so I connect one to my larger 25gal Crapsman. The only issue I found with this setup is the thing gets really hot if the run intervals are too long. I thought possibly pre-filling the larger tank using its own compressor then shut it off and have the quiet one top it off but its still going to run awhile to recover the larger tank volume. no free lunch I suppose. I hardly ever use the larger one anymore since its so bone jarring and loud. I will buy another one in a heartbeat when this one wears out.

IMG_8058[1].JPG

I also have a large vertical compressor out in the garage. It is great for changing and filling tires, running an impact or other air tools, but it is big time overkill for the little bit of air that I need in my basement shop. I purchased the 3/4 HP CAT compressor through Home Depot two years ago and absolutely love it. My wife never hears it run, it's so quiet, so she's happy. No problems with it since I got it.

I'm in Alberta. The only distributor within 500 miles is Home Depot. Their price for the 2HP model with the 4 gal tank is $398, but they charge an additional $150 for the special order handling, making it $548. The manager claimed ordering it online was cheaper, but wouldn't commit to what the final price might be.

The other ones on their online catalog are not actually available here, except for the model 10020C at $700. they reserve the right to limit what they will sell where... frustrating.
Yeap, those prices are way too sporty! Can you not buy via Amazon in Alberta?

What makes them quieter , insulation, thicker castings, thicker tank , a muffler?.

What type is your 80gal. compressor? If it is a belt drive piston compressor it is probably running at max rpm to get max cfm. I put a smaller pulley on my motor to slow it down and it is much quitter than it was . No problems talking to someone standing next to it.

Last edited:
All I found on amazon.ca were 1HP models. Because we are in Canada, we don't qualify for free shipping on amazon.com. It's something that we've learned to live with in Canada. People mistakenly think Canadians are most characteristic for our apologies... Really it's our complacency that defines us! (or at least a bunch of us)

Back