Can I Lock the Cross Slide or Compound?

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I Read a tutorial reciently, where the writer said "be sure to lock the cross slide". This got me thinking, I know my 12" Logan has a carraige lock, as most (probably all) lathes do, but, in my very limited experience, I don't think there is any way to lock the cross slide, or the compound. I must admitt, there have been a few times, while advancing the carraige to turn a part, that I have thought " what is keeping the cross slide or compound from moving and screwing things up". Please educate me guys. Thanks, JR49

I sometimes lock my cross slide when using my milling attachment, I've made a longer gib screw with a T pin end and I just give that a turn, easy and quick to reset afterwards.

Bernard

As Danreb wrote, if there is a set screw for adjusting pressure at the mid point of the gib, it can be snugged up to put enough pressure to essentially 'lock' the compound or cross slide.

What about those machines where a DRO scale is blocking the set screw? Can you just tighten the gibs up temporarily?

Are you able to add an extra threaded hole between two of your gib adjustment screws? Then just use a SHCS in that location as a lock.

Edit: just for clarity this is an example of what I mean, this is a small mill I have, the locking screws where there already I just added the small knobs on them so they could be hand tighten, but I pressed the SHCS into the knobs I made just in case they where to get over tightened so could use the allan wrench to loosen them.

IMG_00001355.jpg

IMG_00001355.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the responses I've gotten to this thread , can I assume that this problem does exist? What say you guys? Have you come up with these solutions because you have actually had the cross slide or compound move on its own? Do the newer lathes have locks for the "slides"? What I'm trying to understand is, if the designers felt it is necessary to lock the carraige, why don't they think the other two (much lighter) slides should be lockable? Any thoughts? Thanks, JR49

Its always a good idea to tighten up your gibs so a particular "slide" wont move inadvertantley, especially during heavy cuts.

Cheers Phil

I fully understand the reason for a carriage lock, but not sure about cross slide or compound slide locks. Is the purpose of locking the cross slide just so that it doesn't oscillate, or "chatter", within its backlash? I can't imagine putting enough pressure on a cross slide or compound slide to actually turn their leadscrews.

Thanks,
Tom

I fully understand the reason for a carriage lock, but not sure about cross slide or compound slide locks. Is the purpose of locking the cross slide just so that it doesn't oscillate, or "chatter", within its backlash? I can't imagine putting enough pressure on a cross slide or compound slide to actually turn their leadscrews.

Thanks,
Tom

I have see them both unwind on a heavy cut when there is some chatter. I don't think just pressure would do it, so you are correct on that.

Back