1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Chips Managment.

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by Hukshawn, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Hukshawn

Hukshawn Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

So the current project I'm working on is that 6" 4 jaw chuck back plate. I did slow the lathe right down. Running about 300 rpm with a big 1/2" carbide cutter.
    The curly chips just kind of roll off the cross slide down the carriage and bounce onto the garage floor. Then usually get imbedded into the souls of my shoes (then usually dragged through the house, to my wife's delight) what are some of the ideas you guys have to manage the chips? I keep having to vacuum them off the floor.

2. master of none

master of none H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brooksville
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Hi Hukshawn that seams to be a problem with a lot of people here ,every body has there own solution what I do is continuously sweep the floor ,keep my chip try clean I use a dust pan and whisk broom and constantly sweep up chips and for my shoes I use a wire brush can't stand the feel of walking on chips,hope this helps. Rick

Hukshawn likes this.
  3. A618fan2

A618fan2 Active Member Active Member

City:
    Shippensburg
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I use two magnetic sweeps - a small one that gets into tight spots and a larger one with wheels (plus a broom and shop vac). The magnetic sweeps never cease to amaze me by how much crap they pick up. I also have a pair of slip on shoes and a shop coat at the door that I put on when I go in and take off when I leave. Not real convenient but it solved the chips in the house issue.

John

4gsr likes this.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

I use the thick rubber anti-fatigue mats. The kind with a lot of big holes all the way through. This gives a place for the chips to fall through. You can also wipe your shoes on the mat every now and then to pull off some of them.

Bamban likes this.
  5. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

See, all of these are fantastic ideas. Excellent.
    I have the tiny magnetic slide tool to pick up chips off the bench but it's just too time consuming for the floor. The bigger ones are fairly inexpensive. We have a store here called princess auto, I believe very similar to harbour freight. In fact, I believe tools and machinery are made in the same Chinese factories, just different labels. They have all of these things, cheap.

6. Martin W

Martin W Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Welland
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Chips? Its called man glitter:grin:.
    I have anti fatigue mats , but they are a pain in there own way when sweeping.
    Martin

LucknowKen likes this.
  7. DaveInMi

DaveInMi United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Cheboygan
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Having lived in Asia, it seems natural to take my shoes off at the door when I enter the house. I just slip into another pair of "inside" shoes.

Tozguy and Bamban like this.
  8. Reeltor

Reeltor United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Lawrenceville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Some guys build a slat type platform to stand on. They claim that it helps with their foot and leg comfort because the slats have a little spring to them with the added bonus that chips fall through to the floor. I thought about building one but I know I'll step backwards and fall with disastrous results. Like DaveInMi, I just leave my garage/garden shoes at the door.

Hukshawn likes this.
  9. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

If not using flood coolant cardboard shields work well to deflect the chips into the pan. If pushing the cut hard enough that the chips will ignite the paperboard then use sheet steel or aluminum, polycarbonate also works well but the chips will melt into the surface when hot enough.

Subwayrocket, Hukshawn and Martin W like this.
  10. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Used to cut up soda water cans and make chip deflectors out of them. Mount them on either on top or bottom of the tool in the Aloris tool holders.

Hukshawn likes this.
  11. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

My garage door is in the front hall where my front door is. I leave my shoes by the front door. Sometimes they get tracked into the hallway. Or, if we run into the garage to throw something away or get something, they get tracked in. Then somehow, they find themselves everywhere.

12. epanzella

epanzella United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Higganum
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I used 1x2 firring alternating long strips and short blocks, all held together with four 1/4x20 threaded rods to make a mat. It's easy on the feet and most of the chips fall thru the slats. To clean the chips just pick up the mat and 99% of the swarf is left behind on the floor. I used to use a big magnet but obviously the aluminum, brass and plastic gets left behind.

LATHE FLOOR MAT.JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Reeltor likes this.
  13. kd4gij

kd4gij United States Active User Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

14. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

Sometimes a clear semi-rigid plastic shield can be draped over the workpiece and tool to deflect chips into the pan.

I use old carpet at the lathe, and on each side of the garage door to clean the chips off my shoes. Then leave my shop shoes at the door.
    No shoes are worn anywhere in our house (bare hardwood floors everywhere).

Old carpet at the lathe is also comfortable to stand on and has saved a dial caliber once upon a time. Carpet goes a long way to saving anything else that gets dropped on the floor.

Old carpet can be had for free from flooring people who are glad to be rid of it. I look at it as giving the carpet a second life. It was headed for the dump anyway.

Side note: Chips can get carried into the house on our clothing too. Try to choose clothing that does not snag or catch chips easily.