Class / Projects for Beginners

Hey TomG

Just went out to look at your channel and image my surprise when I realized how many of them I had seen. Really great job on these. ​I just subscribed to your channel. On occasion I teach a machine shop class to product designers here at the University. I would love to see the site you are working on and would be happy to share some of my notes as well.

I like the idea of maybe making little courses that people here could use in ordered steps to learn. I know there are some people here with some skills I would love to learn. When I sat down to design my last class I found a huge lack of information about surface grinding for example.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm always open to new suggestions. I thought about the structured approach, but decided on the project tutorials because the best way to learn machining is by doing it. Since I'll be designing all of the projects, I have complete control over what processes are demonstrated (taught) in each one. My plan is to start at the most basic level and bump it up with each new project. Basically the shy is the limit.

I'm not set up to doing any surface grinding videos as of yet, but they are high on my list. I've spent a lot of time in grinding shops and enjoyed that much more than making the big chips.

The YouTube video part of the site is complete and I am currently working on the link page (150+) and setting up the project tutorial page. Unfortunately, I have to rely somewhat on the help of my son and he only has so much time available, but I am learning web design in the process. The first project tutorial is designed and I am getting ready to shoot the video. Building a web page turned into a lot more work than I anticipated.

Tom

The MIT link didn't work for me, but I found their machine shop videos here: http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1
There are 10 videos on the equipment in the prototype shop at MIT. Lots of good basic info on machines and their capabilities, laoyuy and basic shop operations.
I've watched them all many tomes. Well presented.
Chuck

Many years ago when I got my first lathe (Logan 11 x 30) I played around with it a while until I learned enough on my own to know what tooling I needed and what processes I had trouble with. . Then I signed up for a night school machining course that was one nite a week for eight weeks. During the course we had to build simple projects like a shop hammer and some threaded bolts. Because I already knew what tooling I needed, I picked those as my shop projects and made things like a tool post, milling attachment and some boring bars. I learned a lot and walked away with much needed tooling that was worth more than the price of the course.

Tom - That sounds fantastic ! Thats exactly what we beginners need - to be able to follow your videos, with other beginners would be great. To have a good foundation and then build on that ensures good habits and hopefully good results :)
Please let me know what your youtube ID is - definitely would like to have a look see.

Let us know when your site is ready !

My YouTube Channel
:)

Jeff,

I'm always open to new suggestions. I thought about the structured approach, but decided on the project tutorials because the best way to learn machining is by doing it. Since I'll be designing all of the projects, I have complete control over what processes are demonstrated (taught) in each one. My plan is to start at the most basic level and bump it up with each new project. Basically the shy is the limit.

I'm not set up to doing any surface grinding videos as of yet, but they are high on my list. I've spent a lot of time in grinding shops and enjoyed that much more than making the big chips.

The YouTube video part of the site is complete and I am currently working on the link page (150+) and setting up the project tutorial page. Unfortunately, I have to rely somewhat on the help of my son and he only has so much time available, but I am learning web design in the process. The first project tutorial is designed and I am getting ready to shoot the video. Building a web page turned into a lot more work than I anticipated.

Tom

Yea I agree you are right, doing it as small projects that are complete instruction sets for that project is probable the best way to go. I am looking forward to you posting some on surface grinding. That would be so great. I could use it. :))

Jeff

Tom, I realize that this suggestion could add a fair bit of work to the mix ...

When drawings or notes already exist, or are easy to work up, adding a downloadable pdf file to your site for each tutorial project would give the participants something to print out and have on hand while they're working on the project.

One step ahead of you Mike, that is the plan. :thumbsup:

There will be a complete set of detail and assembly drawings with a bill of materials for each project.

Tom

Tom has done a great job with his youtube videos. If you go to the video link at the top of the page, their are some other really great video's such as Tubal Cain. You can also use the search function here if you have a specific task you need. Me, personally, consider myself a blacksmith machinist. There are some very intelligent,capaple machinist on this site, who are more than willing to help out if you have questions. Welcome to the site.

Thanx for all the replies. Great that you guys want to help.

My main problem is time. I have 3 kids, a 9 yo girl and twin boys of 7. I also have a normal day job in IT and run a part-time motorcycle business on the side, but that just the start.... I also do woodwork, welding, etc. I really don't have time to sit and watch videos all day. There must be some place that offers courses on these things. That way I have to take time out and attend.

My wife better start making good money soojn, I need to retire to my garage.

Here's a source for information overload (Yes, history and ships are passions as well) The Historic Naval Ships Association has a huge number of online docs at http://www.hnsa.org/doc/index.htm. But be warned, you're going to spend a lot of time getting seriously distracted by everything there.

Back