Class / Projects for Beginners

Thanks to all who have responded - Tom, I am really looking forward to your project tutorials when they com out. If you have any web design issues ( I am more of a Network Engineer than a web designer - but I do know a bit of Joomla and Word Press as I host a few websites on my servers in the US and UK)
Bob, thanks for the South Bend manuals - have scrounged the net and have found quite a bit - so thanks for that.

Cheers
Wallis

Thanks to all who have responded - Tom, I am really looking forward to your project tutorials when they com out. If you have any web design issues ( I am more of a Network Engineer than a web designer - but I do know a bit of Joomla and Word Press as I host a few websites on my servers in the US and UK)

Cheers
Wallis

Thanks Wallis.

My son does web design, so he can usually get me going in the right direction, if I can get enough of his time.

Tom

Wallis,

I am currently up to my elbows designing a website (I'm better at machining than web design) to better present my instructional videos. In addition I'll be including a section of what I call project tutorials, where the viewer can follow along on provided drawings and view a video tutorial where I build the project from start to finish. The projects are designed by me to actually be useful and are carefully chosen to include as many basic machining practices as possible. I'm working on the first one now and have an additional ten or so in mind, each a bit more advanced than the last. It should be fun.

I hope to have the website on line within the next month and will announce it here and on my YouTube channel.

Tom

I'm subscribed to your channel Tom and like others I can't wait to see what you're cooking up. I know it will help myself and others that are at my learning stage.

Thanks much for you effort and dedication. It will go a long way helping us newbies.

Thanks.

The basic site is set up. I just have a lot of data entry to do and crank out the tutorial videos for the first project. Then I just need to find some helpers unfamiliar with the site to try and break it.

Hang in there, I'm working as fast as I can. This whole web design thing is all new to me. :panic:

Tom

Cant wait :) while I have learned a lot on my own and surfing the web (you know you have learned something when you bust a tool and go AH HA lol), and so much here I have to stop and breath a bit to let it all settle in. I love the fact I can come here and show something i have done or plan to do and some one can set me straight on what a dumb idea it was/is (before I bust another tool).

Well what one may need or want to know the next guy may not. If you want a structured class take one. If you want to learn to machine get out in the shop and make chips. Read books and search the web for what you need. Or ask for help here.

Well what one may need or want to know the next guy may not. If you want a structured class take one. If you want to learn to machine get out in the shop and make chips. Read books and search the web for what you need. Or ask for help here.

True, nothing like hands on to learn how to do something, but I find even with my web searching (and I do a lot), you can get a lot more info from people like here on the forum. I have "saved" a lot of tooling by not making dumb mistakes from advice found here (still mangle a few with stupid moves), and any extra "learning" I can get would sure be great. I know for many some things are so basic they dont even think about them, but for some like me, where machining is NEW, it can really help.

I am quite new to this also and ooh yeah the people on this forum have helped me alot (along with some people on other groups) I did have many years of machine operation before getting into machining (saws, drills, brake presses, shears, and the like. I just am not sold that a teaching course is good for a forum, and the Mods might want to talk to the attorny's about it also. Just my thoughts. I do see where youare going, and I do not hate it.

True, nothing like hands on to learn how to do something, but I find even with my web searching (and I do a lot), you can get a lot more info from people like here on the forum. I have "saved" a lot of tooling by not making dumb mistakes from advice found here (still mangle a few with stupid moves), and any extra "learning" I can get would sure be great. I know for many some things are so basic they dont even think about them, but for some like me, where machining is NEW, it can really help.

Re: Class / Projects for Beginners: Tubal Cain and Keith Fenner

ivusi and other new machinists, here are two great sites listed on the stickies on the General Machining forum on this site:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/7997-Updated-List-of-Tubalcain-s-(Mr-Pete-s)-Videos

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/9647-Keith-Fenner-Videos-in-Our-Video-Library

Tubal Cain( Lyle Peterson, AKA Mr. Pete) was a high school machine shop teacher for around 40 yrs, he has over 300 vids now and as a former teacher I can say he does a great job of teaching in his vids. I just got my first lathe but have been watching his vids for the last few years and really learned a lot from them, certainly got a jump on the learning curve.

Keith Fenner is an outrageously talented machinist with wonderful communication skills, not to mention a sh#tload of really cool machines.

Spend some hours watching and learning from these guys, next best thing to a private tutor, it will be time very well spent.

cheers, Brian

Back