Clausing 5418 Lathe

OK. The key is smaller than I expected, and maybe softer.

I've been cleaning/painting and reassembling the apron - what a freakin jig saw puzzle that is :). In the process of disassembly I broke the oil fill window. In looking a bit closer - the apron has an oil reservoir in the bottom that is about 1-1/2" deep. The only thing that gets close to that oil level is the lower gear driven by the lead screw. I'm not sure if that is correct or not? On my south bend there is a complicated set of wicks that feed oil from the reservoir to the upper gears/shafts. This clausing has nothing like that. There is a gasket on the back cover for the worm and worm gear but I don't see how the oil from the reservoir would get in there?
Anyone have thoughts on the apron lubrication?
Thanks
Rick

Rick, Don't know if you are going to make a replacement window or not. I found a small stash of them in some 'school parts', if you want I can send one up to you in an envelope. Let me know--David

Rick, Don't know if you are going to make a replacement window or not. I found a small stash of them in some 'school parts', if you want I can send one up to you in an envelope. Let me know--David

Thanks Dave - sent you a message

Rick

I've noticed that a number of machines that have aprons or gearboxes like that - sump but no oil pump. It's what's known in some circles as splash lubrication.

Hi Rick,

I peeked in my oil fill plug and looked the the gears up top, seem to all have oil on them. I believe Robert is correct, the worm gear that travels on the lead screw splashes oil on everything in the apron.

Bruce

p.s. Keys should be to you by Tuesday

What you gus are saying makes sense regarding the lubrication - there are not that many lube points on the apron so the resorvoir oil has to be a splash distribution system.

I am reassembling the apron and as I got to the half nuts I started wondering about there condition. I don't have enough experience to know what I am looking at so I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion based on the picture below - are these half nuts shot or still serviceable in a hobby environment? I can try to get different photos if that would help.

Thanks
Rick
Half Nuts Best.JPG

One more apron question - on my machine there were two circular labels to the left of the half nut lever. I thought I had good pictures of them but when I looked at them they are too blurry to see much. I know one says OUT and one says IN but there were other words that I can't make out. I'm wondering if someone has a picture (or could take one) of those labels. Also a rough idea of the circle diameter if possible.

Edt to add - I apologize for the confusion - I think the circular labels mentioned above are actually on the back gear lever - not the half nuts. In any event I stillwould like to the info above.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing, the threads in your half nuts look pretty badly worn. In cross-section, the Acme thread is symetrical. Meaning that the peak and trough are the same width. It looks like the ID of the threads in your half-nuts is about half the width of the OD. If that's true, then the half-nuts are worn out.

On the labels, I've never seen a 5400 Series lathe and all that the manual shows is OUT and IN. So I don't know what else was there.

Hi Rick,

Your half-nuts look pretty worn. They'd probably still pull the carriage along when engaged, but your threads may be inconsistent. Bet those will be a really pricey part from Clausing! The OUT/IN label is on the head stock for the back gears.

Best regards, Bruce

Back