Clean Solar Panels!

PS I don’t want a pick up truck, but the Ford Lightning has bidirectional charging and I really want another 7 PowerWalls which is how big the batteries are on the Lightning.

But I digress. Clean panels definitely help!

Jeff,
I saw about a 10% efficiency increase the first time I cleaned our solar panels. I have our window cleaners do it every year for an extra $100.
Evan
10%, I'll take it.
We signed up for the twice a year program. $332 a year.
Add another $27 a month to my electric bill.
Considering PG&E increases their rates by double digits every year, I hope we still made the right decision to install solar. Time will tell.
We do hear the groaning/complaints from friends and neighbors about the ever increasing electric energy bills.

PS I don’t want a pick up truck, but the Ford Lightning has bidirectional charging and I really want another 7 PowerWalls which is how big the batteries are on the Lightning.

The Lightning is an amazing vehicle.
Speaking of EV's, I watched a video of a Tesla pick-up truck getting stuck in a driveway. There was about 4" of snow and it must have been icy.
The 8,000# doesn't help. The used an ICE F-150 to pull it out :)
When I lived in heavy snow country the Subarus were incredible. Super light they just popped up over all the snow related obstacles when other 4X4's would struggle.

The Lightning is an amazing vehicle.
Speaking of EV's, I watched a video of a Tesla pick-up truck getting stuck in a driveway. There was about 4" of snow and it must have been icy.
The 8,000# doesn't help. The used an ICE F-150 to pull it out :)
When I lived in heavy snow country the Subarus were incredible. Super light they just popped up over all the snow related obstacles when other 4X4's would struggle.
Yep, When I would ski in Colorado I would rent a Subaru, loved them in snow. Too bad they were so poorly made, and would require a ton of maintenance. From day one, I had problems... Great snow vehicle, but quality is important, and it's just not there.

The utube channel Ambition Strikes just did a video on this.

They are off grid in northern Idaho. If you don't find it I can look for it tonight.

I decided to go with one of these for backup power. It should be large enough to power everything I need to use. It's a mere 3273 hp and puts out 2250 KW.

I changed my mind on purchasing the Cat generator. I did however run across a 1991 Libby Corp MDL MEP-002A 5KW diesel generator set. It was originally built for the military and has less than 1,000 hours on the clock. The seller is asking what I would consider a give away price.

It's a bit ironic that I just gave away a 3KW unit because I hadn't used it in years, and it was extremely noisy. I'll check out the 5KW unit a little closer later in the week. Here's a link to a similar unit. The one I'm looking at is on the skid, but not on a trailer.

My backup generator is an Allmand light tower. It has a 6KW Perkins diesel and sips fuel. I installed a receptacle for single phase 240V (it had two 120V circuits/breakers) with a separate breaker so I can plug it into my transfer switch. It has a built-in trailer and the four big HID lights, and has been handy for outdoor projects that run late into the dark. It is a holdover from a business that I sold over 15 years ago, but remains in perfect shape and has very low hours for it's age.

Funnily I haven't ever had our panels cleaned in all the years we have owned them and the last bill the electric company actually owed us money so that was a first.
Must have been a real sunny day! They mess with the weather so much nowadays Geo engineering we are lucky to get a sunny day now .

Back