Cleaning A New Mill?

I have bought so much stuff,I forget about it. When I stumble upon it again,it is almost like getting something new!! REALLY!!

That would never happen to me.:eek 2:
We wont mention the Mitutoyo dial indicator I just bought in Adelaide, when I got home and went to put it away there was one exactly the same model that I had bought a few years ago.
Two is better that one right.:cheerful:

If it is a brand new machine, look in the instruction manual. It is likely that there are cleaning instructions and a recommended cleaning solvent to use.

I used kerosene and some good stiff plastic bristle brushes. I was complaining to myself what a mess it was removing the cosmoline when I remembered that this was the first thing I ever had that was new enough to need cleaning. After that, I resolved to enjoy the process. :grin:

GG

WD-40 doesn't seem like it would be a very good cleaner. I use kerosen myself for this type of work. You can soak some poverised lime in the kerosen to take the smell out. I just wouldn't shake it up before using it. ;)

I dismantled mine as in the instructions.
1. I needed to take it apart to move it to its final place (before I bought an engine crane).
2. I got to know how the machine worked.
3. I replaced the more obvious weak parts. The manufacturers seem to use very good castings held together by chicken fat, foundry sand and bolts of hard cheese. I replaced using proper British metric parts.
4. I calibrated it from scratch and thoroughly lubricated it. I used a good quality molybdenum grease which in retrospect was messy and blocked some of the zerts making maintenance more difficult later.

WD40 works well.
Good luck.

Back