Contouring With Manual Machine Tools

Yea, We have multifix at work and all the armstrong toolpost and holders got thrown in a drawer and everyone forgot about them. Well I got a straight , right , and left hand of both the 3/8 and 5/16 size (all with the tool straight ,not angled) and I use them all the time. Carbides and hss. I have a few holders that I have made over the years, but the armstrongs are perfect for whatever angle I need to get into. Never thought of using the toolpost as a radius cutter. That was very enlightning. I made a bearing race once, that was radiused and I turned a circle the same diameter and used an indicator on it like a tracer lathe. It came out really good. But that was an internal concave so I dont think the toolpost would have helped. When I say bearing race, I had to make two radiused caps for an existing bottom housing that a Delrin ball fit into and swiveled. Wish I had taken pics. It was a fun job lol
I have a similar job for a inside bearing race in alum. Do you have any pics of the tracer setup

Back