Copper

BobinWa

Active User
Registered
Ok I have a basic question. Of the different copper alloys which is the best to use for vise jaws?

Bob

Why would you use copper for vise jaws. I use aluminum or delrin for soft jaws.

I wouldnt have thought the alloy composition would really matter for soft jaws. I just use any old copper sheet.

Cheers Phil

vise5.JPGFor my 6” Wilton bench vise I use aluminum angle stock 1 1/2” X 1 1/2” X 1/8”. You can get it at the big box stores. It’s probably 6061, works for me…Good Luck.

vise5.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know the alloy, but I use buss bar.

wayne

Great idea, and I just happen to have some sitting on the shelf. Never thought about using them for soft jaws.

Buss bars are almost pure copper.

Ok I can understand Aluminum for the Kurt vise though I am working with rifle barrels etc. on standard vises. I have read that copper is best to clamp down actions, barrels etc. I am inquiring the best/near best copper for the standard vise

Ok I can understand Aluminum for the Kurt vise though I am working with rifle barrels etc. on standard vises. I have read that copper is best to clamp down actions, barrels etc. I am inquiring the best/near best copper for the standard vise

I would try to find some dead soft copper, should be pretty common. I know Wilton sells copper soft jaws, and I am guessing Enco and McMaster will have them.

For rifle barrels, it's perfect. Copper is softer than brass, conforming to the work and clamping better than aluminum soft jaws.

Back