Copper

interesting idea on bus bar. I used a bus bar to make a dog clamp for my SB9A lathe as my dog only holds 1" and I was turning some 2" round. I soldered the tail to it. The good thing about copper is it won't mar the work.

I hadn't thought about the use for a vise; sounds like a plan

Ok I have a basic question. Of the different copper alloys which is the best to use for vise jaws?

Bob

I made mine many years ago from a copper printing plate. Can't find those anymore.

Ok I have a basic question. Of the different copper alloys which is the best to use for vise jaws?

Fully annealed copper used for roof flashing will work. It's thin though, .025 if I recall. I use Acetal .
I do not recall the type of copper flashing is.
mike

Someone asked about alloys. After reading this thread I made some soft jaws using bus bar and my neighbor, who does electrical work, said the bus bar is made of a special allow because it sometimes comes in contact with aluminum. He doesn't know the allow, however.

Go to the Wilton site. I have the copper ones that wrap around the existing jaws and also the rubber lined jaws that are held in place with magnets. Enjoy both types depending on the job at hand. Originally thought the rubber ones would give up by looking at the way they were made. But over ten years later and still going strong. And not a pecker track left behind!

I usually use aluminum. I made two U shaped pieces that straddle the ram on my machinists vise and cover the jaws. They just drop into place so I don't need extra hands to hold them. I also made a set from 1/4 in. flat steel plate for flat jaws and a set from industrial belting for really soft jaws. They all work great but might not work so well on a vise with a round ram.

Cutting boards make good soft jaws for the bench vice.

When I need flat piece of copper I dig around and find some 3/8 or 1/2 in copper tubing and slit it down one side with a dermal tool cut off wheel then spread it open and flatten it out you well be surprised how big it is. It's real good for soft vise jaws. I have made 'U" shapes and they slip on my chuck jaws and they well hold on if you bend them in a little and then slide them on.

Back