Could You Pass?

I could only answer the lbs to ton but it would have been marked wrong as my old school English weights were 2240 lbs to 1 ton.
For some reason I have always remembered that.
When we were in WV in 2006 at a party all the college kids there were sure Australia was next to Germany and that they spoke European in Europe.

Some of these are specific to farming I noticed- bushels, rods- short ton or long ton? Smarty pants
Of course, it's Kansas
All the republics and capitals in Europe? Right boss, coming right up-- not

Here's a Kansas-related one:
How was the tornado special effect accomplished for the Wizard of Oz movie?
Answer: A rotating roll of burlap driven by an electric motor, photographed at a distance
true fact

Last edited:
I would have had a better chance (not very good mind you) when I was in the 8th grade....... now, forget it!

Or perhaps I should say: if I ever knew it, I've long forgotten it.

An interesting rebuttal to that test: (from Snopes.com- fact check)
Consider: To pass this test, no knowledge of the arts is necessary (not even a nodding familiarity with a few of the greatest works of English literature), no demonstration of mathematical learning other than plain arithmetic is required (forget algebra, geometry, or trigonometry), nothing beyond a familiarity with the highlights of American history is needed (never mind the fundamentals of world history, as this exam scarcely acknowledges that any country other than the USA even exists), no questions about the history, structure, or function of the United States government are asked (not even the standard "Name the three branches of our federal government"), science is given a pass except for a few questions about geography and the rudiments of human anatomy, and no competence in any foreign language (living or dead) is necessary. An exam for today's high school graduates that omitted even one of these subjects would be loudly condemned by parents and educators alike, subjects about which the Salina, Kansas, students of 1895 needed know nothing at all. Would it be fair to say that the average Salina student was woefully undereducated because he failed to learn many of the things that we consider important today, but which were of little importance in his time and place? If not, then why do people keep asserting that the reverse is true? Why do journalists continue to base their gleeful articles about how much more was expected of the students of yesteryear on flawed assumptions? Perhaps some people are too intent upon making a point to bother considering the proper questions.

Last edited:
Not that I give a total pass to today's educational system- I think we should have more emphasis on science and critical thinking skills,
two areas that could use some improvement, for sure
Also, a quiz on the parts of a lathe would be good, too, and if the student can't name them they get beaten with a stick :cupcake:

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think you might be a few years out…

This is a page from the US Bureau of Labor report 1887-1888. Daily wage for a machinist in the Denver area was $2.50 to $3.50 per 10-hour day.

IMG_2662.png

Some perspective, sources vary but in 1890 only about 6% of the young adults (17-21) in the USA were high school graduates and 8th grade was the final year of high school in most states. Only 3% attended college and the adult illiteracy rate was around 13%.

So that test was essentially testing an educational elite for the time and place, most 17 year olds didn't even get to take the test.

I'm afraid you've just fallen for another internet sham. A bushel of wheat was much less than 50 cents in 1895. That was like two days' wages.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average price of wheat in 1895 was $.60/bu.

Back