Could You Pass?

I'm certain I could have passed, if I has been instructed within the curriculum of the Salina, KS schools of the time.
My point is that the test is largely worded to extract the verbatim definitions that (presumably) were included in the curriculum.
When I was in eighth grade there were 9 planets in our solar system. Not true anymore. Of course, I've met young people who are not at all concerned about the electrical grid failing BECAUSE THEIR DEVICES RUN ON BATTERIES. We've clearly lost a few steps.

I'd fail, but I don't use any algebra either.

Eric

What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at 20 per metre?
I find it hard to believe that they would mix English and Metric units. And what is 20? 20 cents. 20 dollars. 20 toothpicks.

As others have said, the "good old days test" leaves out a lot. Take critical thinking for example. I feel like a lot of that test is rote memorization.

I had a 7th grade math teacher that was all about knowing your algebraic tables. If you answered him wrong or in a smarty-pants way, he would give you detention or worse. He was, without a doubt the most worthless teacher I have ever had. Some would consider him as the "good old way." Most of my classmates considered him a POS, which he was.

I don't miss some of the good old days, although the world would be better off without Facebook, TicToc and whatever other stupid social platform is out there.

Man I sound cynical. I must be getting old...

I find it hard to believe that they would mix English and Metric units. And what is 20? 20 cents. 20 dollars. 20 toothpicks.

As others have said, the "good old days test" leaves out a lot. Take critical thinking for example. I feel like a lot of that test is rote memorization.

I had a 7th grade math teacher that was all about knowing your algebraic tables. If you answered him wrong or in a smarty-pants way, he would give you detention or worse. He was, without a doubt the most worthless teacher I have ever had. Some would consider him as the "good old way." Most of my classmates considered him a POS, which he was.

I don't miss some of the good old days, although the world would be better off without Facebook, TicToc and whatever other stupid social platform is out there.

Man I sound cynical. I must be getting old...
I found another copy of the exam in the Washington Post. The question actually was: "What is the cost of 40 boards 12" wide by 16 ft. long at $20 per m?" "m" is a common abbreviation for 1,000. Lumber is sold by the board ft. or $/1,000 bd. ft. Assuming that the boards were 1" thick, the total bd. ft. would be 640 and 640/1000X$20 would be $12.80.

I had some real losers for teachers, professors, and instructors over my 21 years in the educational system. I could fill many pages with stories about them. Some of the worst were college professors. Back then, you didn't need a phD to teach at the University that I attended and many of the professors had only Masters degrees. and were totally unqualified for their positions. OTOH, I also had some brilliant teachers and professors and owe them a debt of gratitude for their guidance so it probably evens out.

Ah, yeah. I forgot about the "m" as a thousand. I guess I failed. LOL

I agree with you about the professors. I failed an English class in High School. When I first went to college, I had an English professor who tried to help, but I wasn't focused.
Contrast that to going back to college when I was 48 and focused. I connected with the lead English professor there and excelled in my composition classes, to the point that I gave some talks in the college auditorium based on some of my writings. It was a totally different experience. :)

Talking of crap teachers and there are quite a few of them, my first three years in high school my history teacher hated me. I never found out why but I came bottom of the class in every test/exam by a huge margin from the next person.
We were streamed in those days and I was always in the "A" class.
In the 4th year we had a different history teacher and lo and behold I came top in the first exam and stayed there for the rest of the year.
Go figure.

Talking of crap teachers and there are quite a few of them, my first three years in high school my history teacher hated me. I never found out why but I came bottom of the class in every test/exam by a huge margin from the next person.
We were streamed in those days and I was always in the "A" class.
In the 4th year we had a different history teacher and lo and behold I came top in the first exam and stayed there for the rest of the year.
Go figure.
Yeah, but that is history now…

one thing is certain, we have never learnt anything from history. We appear to keep repeating the garbage over and over again.
History helps to show us when we have made the same mistake again and again... My Dad used to say something along those lines...

Back