Craftsman 12" Carriage Stop?

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
I was wondering if anybody had an easy solution for a carriage stop? I've been using a small c-clamp, but it is a pain to set up and then rely on. I see them on Epay for $50 and more, which is a bit spendy. A good simple solution would be a great add to my tool kit. Thanks.

Not sure what a 12" looks like, but here is what I did for my Atlas 618. It is a combined stop and X travel indicator. The indicator is on the top and the adjustable stop rod is on the bottom. I think the photo gives the idea. There is a brass strip under the screw that clamps it to the bed to prevent marking ways.

Normally I can clamp it in one location and just quickly adjust the lower rod as a stop.

indicator in workiing location.jpg

That is simply beautiful! You are clearly more advanced that I expect to ever be. However, the concept is simple enough I think I could manage to make one up minus the dial indicator. The parts I mostly make are not necessarily high tolerance dimensions. If I can simply stop where the cutter met the pattern during setup I would be all set. I'm going to steal your idea and copy it for my own use! Thanks!!

Hope it works out for you. Let us see what you come up with. It doesn't hurt to leave space to add an indicator in the future. I find it comes in very handy, especially parting off something to length.

David

Olddaddy,

A search of threads here should find several good designs.
Over the last year or so I remember turret ones with multiple stops, some with a few fold-down stop fingers, and others with and without dial indicators.
If you cannot find them, ping me, I probably have some book-marked and can supply links directly to them......

-brino

IMG_2387.jpg IMG_2388.jpg this is what i fabbed up a bit ago. the red shaft is no. 10 wire. its makes a great flex shaft. . . IMG_2387.jpg IMG_2388.jpg

David like the idea for the "flex shaft".

David

Brino, thanks for the links, great ideas to work with. Mine will be simple, but I have a spare dial indicator and a couple micrometers that are not earning their keep. I'm getting a new TIG welder for Christmas, time to fab something up!

Look at Toms techniques on you tube.
He has plans and a video on building one for a craftsman lathe.

Tomh

Back