Craftsman 12" Carriage Stop?

Brino, I think you have the beginnings of a cottage industry there! I'd have to make twice as many mistakes and take three times as long to end up with one half as nice, cheaper to buy from you!!

I'm having a hard time picturing it, Do you have a picture of it.

Bill
Not sure Bill .. I have changed over from Microsoft to the Ubuntu system ( still working my way through how to use it ..it took me nearly 40 years of Microsoft to become good with it ) .
So all my pictures skills are bit all over the place at present .. I'll check to see if there is one on my old Photobucket account .
If not I'll brave the monsoons we are experiencing at present here in the UK and swim out to the garage to take several pictures tomorrow .

Pictures not on my old account .... I'll do it in the morning .
Dave

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time picturing it, Do you have a picture of it.

Bill

Bill ,
Exploded view two half inch thick aluminium plates cut with an angle grinder & a thin stainless steel cutting fibre blade .

IMG_6364_zpspk0iqnvn.jpg

This shows a couple of washers used to make a fulcrum point . The hole in the top plate is a few mm bigger than clearance , done so you can get the top to move easily when clamping it up.

IMG_6362_zpsmgwicavp.jpg

Here I'm showing it assembled .note the narrower open end between the plates .. this is where the clamping force is applied . th fulcrum is only a smidgeon bigger than the thickness of the bed ways.

IMG_6366_zpsh9sn1ww0.jpg

Finally here it is , clamped in position .
Like I said it's dead simple ..it has to be , for I don't have the luxury of a mill or any fly cutters at present .
It butts up against the wiper pad's securing screw head , so there is no need to have any great force applied . I simply disengage power feed on the last 1/4 " of carriage travel and gently take the rest in by hand using the carriage hand feed .

If you take a bit of care setting it right back against the carriage feed toothed rail that sits under the way it's really use full and does not easily move.

IMG_6367_zps4ex18p7q.jpg

One last observation :-
For my type of lathe , because it does not run across the whole bed way it can be set to the extreme left , most stops can't go past the start of the headstock housing if they sit cross the way

IMG_6364_zpspk0iqnvn.jpg

IMG_6362_zpsmgwicavp.jpg

IMG_6366_zpsh9sn1ww0.jpg

IMG_6367_zps4ex18p7q.jpg

IMG_6364_zpspk0iqnvn.jpg

IMG_6362_zpsmgwicavp.jpg

IMG_6366_zpsh9sn1ww0.jpg

IMG_6367_zps4ex18p7q.jpg

IMG_6364_zpspk0iqnvn.jpg

IMG_6362_zpsmgwicavp.jpg

IMG_6366_zpsh9sn1ww0.jpg

IMG_6367_zps4ex18p7q.jpg