Craftsman power hacksaw rebuild.

The vise seems to be a weak spot on these. I've seen many missing part or all of the vise.

Mine came with a good size "tool makers" angle vise which works, but doesn't allow for any cuts except at 90 degrees. I've considered remaking a vise similar to the original, but like you way too many projects for that to move it from the To Do list to the Actually Do list.

I was kind of amused when I realized that the vise had been replaced, because it is a good size Taiwan made vise that is probably worth more than the $50 I paid for the whole saw.

Mine is an Excel branded saw, but it was made by Covel who also made them for Sears. With the motor mounted underneath, it really makes for a compact unit, quite a bit smaller than my HF 4x6" bandsaw.

hacksaw and bandsaw.jpg

The vise seems to be a weak spot on these. I've seen many missing part or all of the vise.

Mine came with a good size "tool makers" angle vise which works, but doesn't allow for any cuts except at 90 degrees. I've considered remaking a vise similar to the original, but like you way too many projects for that to move it from the To Do list to the Actually Do list.

I was kind of amused when I realized that the vise had been replaced, because it is a good size Taiwan made vise that is probably worth more than the $50 I paid for the whole saw.

Mine is an Excel branded saw, but it was made by Covel who also made them for Sears. With the motor mounted underneath, it really makes for a compact unit, quite a bit smaller than my HF 4x6" bandsaw.

View attachment 481580
With a vise that high are the lift dogs even able to engage and lift the blade on the return stroke?

That is the first thing I had to tune in this saw as someone somewhere at some time reversed them and did away with that function.

Don’t know why you would do that, but the ones I have are like new so I’m not complaining.

Also, I don’t see the vises as a weak spot, but rather very misunderstood in their proper operation, which leads to them being broken easily.

I’ve seen people who could break hammers.

Back