Does this look like a good deal for making my Avey a mill?

A drill press rarely makes a good milling machine. Bearing types and position don't go well with side thrust required for milling operations. Drill press sounds interesting though, pics??

A drill press rarely makes a good milling machine. Bearing types and position don't go well with side thrust required for milling operations. Drill press sounds interesting though, pics??

This machine is built more like a mill than the cheap Chinese mills are. In any case, it's what I've got. I can't afford a real mill. I'll post some pictures soon.

This machine is built more like a mill than the cheap Chinese mills are. In any case, it's what I've got. I can't afford a real mill. I'll post some pictures soon.

John,

Most drill presses only have thrust bearings (for axial forces, in-line with the drill bit) and no radial bearings. Radial forces (sideways against the bit) will kill a drill press in no time. If you like that decent drill press of yours, I'd suggest only using it for drilling.

Ray

The Avey is quite different. And yes that table is a good deal at that price.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John, post a pic to give us a clue. Sure would like to see it.

John,

Most drill presses only have thrust bearings (for axial forces, in-line with the drill bit) and no radial bearings. Radial forces (sideways against the bit) will kill a drill press in no time. If you like that decent drill press of yours, I'd suggest only using it for drilling.

Ray

This machine has double-row angular-contact bearings in the spindle.

Here are some photos of the fabled Avey. The last photos two show the broken gib. The crank on the front is what was used to draw it up tight so you can guess why it broke. I will want to put some sort of wiper or cover over that slide to keep chips out.

P1010009.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG

NOW, that is a drill press. Thank you John for the photos, this should clear some things up.

This monster looks like it should be able to handle small milling jobs. Spindle speeds and fine Z axis adjustments might be concerns. Go fer it and keep us posted.

Back