Does this look like a good deal for making my Avey a mill?

I just bought a HF 6in x-y vise to do some v. light milling on my 15in WT drill press (not even close to yours). I expect to do some work cleaning it up and making it work smoothly, but for $70 it should keep me happy until I move and can afford a mill of some sort. Even then, it'll be nice to have for accurate positioning to drill holes.

This monster looks like it should be able to handle small milling jobs. Spindle speeds and fine Z axis adjustments might be concerns. Go fer it and keep us posted.

It has six speeds from 150 to 1800 RPM. If I get ambitious (and stumble upon a cache of IGBTs) I might build a VFD some day. It has a vernier quill stop so I can at least get repeatable Z axis positions. I don't know yet how repeatable the table positioning is. I'm already thinking about improved Z axis control. Much easier to build that than a table (especially once I'm able to do at least some milling).

[FONT=&quot]I looked at that one on Ebay and I think it will lack rigidity it has to many moving points. it also has square ways.

I have successfully converted multiple drill presses to mills. There are a few things that MUST be addressed.

[/FONT]​

• [*=left][FONT=&quot]Replace the lower spindle bearing with a angular contact double row bearing of the 520x series is what I use. This resolves the side thrust issue on the bearing.[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]I go to a ER25 or 30 series collet systems with the proper Morse taper and either use a draw bar or a lockpin to retain the taper.[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]I have found that the table on the drill press isn't ridged enough for mill work, this won't be an issue if the table is rigidly mounted on ways. Most drill presses mount the table on the column and the end result isn't rigid enough. I cut the total height down, remount the head using a gib to make the head more rigid on the column I also gib the spindle to remove the excess slack in the spindle. I then mount the x y table directly to the base. If i can't find an older American cast 6x 12 or 18 x-y table I upgrade the bearings and tighten the scroll nut to remove as much backlash as possible from the lead screws.[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]some method of locking the spindle, I use the center point setscrew on the added gib if there is room for it.[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]The items below are nice but not absolutely necessary [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]A fine feed on the Z access is pretty hard to do without, I cast mine out of aluminum and use brass bearings for thrust adjustment for the fine feed, It is also designed to put aadd stepper motor for CNC if desired. I also go to external springs on the spindle to remove the play between the spindle and the z axis drive as the return spring on a drill press leaves down backlash on the spindle.[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]I go to a high end 1.75 to 3 hp treadmill motor (the ones that are rated at 4000 rpm or less) these will deliver a sold 3/4 to 1.5 hp in the operating range that they will be used on the mill. I normally limit the spindle speed to nothing higher then 3500 rpm and use a 3 or 4 step reduction pulley set. They will power tap and handle 3" face mill.[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]I normally will also set them up with a DRO[/FONT]
    [*=left][FONT=&quot]I use a z axes drive ( the angle motor off of a treadmill) to raise and lower the head on the column and also use a 1/2 or 5/8 auxiliary shaft to retain alignment on the column.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

I have pictures of one that I am currently in process on that i will put up once I figure out how to put pictures on this site. I will have between 3 and 400.00 in it when fully complete, it started out as a 17" floor drill press with a broken table from craigslist for 75.00. It will handle light to medium duty mill work. Most of what I mill is aluminum but i do light milling in steel without issues. I also have access to my sons full machine shop he has a Hass 30 hp mill a CNC Lathe and 3 manual lathes, one Bridgeport and an older 10 hp CNC mill. He also has a 36" vertical bandsaw which is very handy when you need to cut something fairly large.

I do aluminum casting and have both a crucible furnace that wil do about 10lb and a tilting furnace that will do about 25 lb per pour I sell ingots on Ebay to help support my other activities in retirement Here fishy fishy fishy!!!!!!!!!!!!![/FONT]

I would appreciate a pm on how to get photographs into my posts.

Thanks

Art

Back