[How do I?] Drill A Hole With A Tapered End..?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to make a small clamp for removing the hood of an Albrecht c15 drill chuck.
The chuck is very small so the clamp is small. The depth of the hole is .103" in 1/4" thk. aluminum.
The rest of the hole is tapered like the shape of the chucks hood.

How can I make the tapered part? On a lathe? The clamp is square but I can start it with round stock then cut it into a square. The hole is .7500" dia. .103" deep. I'll have to calculate the taper.

I would use a 4 jaw chuck and do it in the lathe.

Emilio, is there a reason you can't just grab the knurled part of the hood with your clamp? I'm not sure why you would need to include the taper - am I missing something?

The c15 is very small. The included taper will seat the clamp at the high point half of the knurling. The knurling is very short, and the taper will keep the clamp from slipping. I'll try a "regular" hood clamp again. Since the Chuck is so small, the tolerance is very tight. .7490"

The larger clamps are much easier to make and use. Have you ever serviced an Albrecht c15? They're super small and the parts are very expensive!

Why a 4 jaw and not a 3 or 6?

I believe the idea is to remove the need to square the round stock after boring the taper on the lathe by starting with square stock held in the 4-jaw.
-brino

I have made two aluminum clamps for Albrecht chucks by using square pieces of aluminum plate and then drilling and boring them on the mill. I then slit them with a hack saw. I made the clamps to hold the chuck bodies and used a Ridgid strap clamp on the knurled shrouds. Worked fine, but both took an amazing amount of torque before they broke loose. They were much larger chucks, though...

The c15 is very small. The included taper will seat the clamp at the high point half of the knurling. The knurling is very short, and the taper will keep the clamp from slipping. I'll try a "regular" hood clamp again. Since the Chuck is so small, the tolerance is very tight. .7490"

The larger clamps are much easier to make and use. Have you ever serviced an Albrecht c15? They're super small and the parts are very expensive!

Nope, haven't done a c15. However, if I did I would bore a hole to the size I needed, slit the side and clamp it down without bothering with the taper. Because of the circumferential force applied by this type of clamp the chance of distorting the hood is very small and the knurling on the hood will keep it from slipping. Maybe try a simple hole first and worry about a taper if it doesn't work?

If you do decide to make a taper the simplest way is to do as above and bore a hole to size and then cut the taper with your compound set at the desired angle.

Thank you. I will try the hole to size again.
Although, it will only be to grease the threads on the hood.
Turns out, Albrecht is sending me a replacement c15 after I told them about my trouble getting the hood off!
Albrecht has been just truly amazing in their customer service. Maybe the previous owner used thread lock.??
The chuck was in near new condition. I'm still going to make the clamps. The new c15 should be no problem.

Back