Drill bits

If your drill motor has a tapered spindle, it's most likely a Morse taper as opposed to a Brown & Sharpe, Jarno, or other style. However, in many cases manufacturers offered different taper styles as options. Add to that even if it is the most common Morse taper it could be one of several sizes. Morse tapers go from the smallest size #0 to the largest size #7. The most common on smaller machines are a #2 or a #3. As mentioned, earlier if there's a slot in the side of the spindle, you'll need a drift or key to remove the drill bit. Here's a link to some drifts at the MSC website.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...rc=aw.ds#navid=2108652&refinements=Type:Drift

Once you determine what size spindle taper you have rather than buy taper shank drills, I would buy either a drill chuck with a built-in arbor to fit the machine or buy an arbor and a drill chuck as separate pieces. The most common taper on a stand alone drill chuck is a Jacobs taper. Like the Morse tapers they come in different sizes. Here's a link to a chart at Little Machine Shop giving the sizes and dimensions of several common tapers.

The advantage of a separate arbor and chuck is that you can use the arbor on a number of different size or style drill chucks. The advantage of a fixed arbor and drill chuck is that it's quicker to change out, and the chuck will always be true to the arbor. If you go the independent chuck and arbor route, you'll also need a set of Jacobs taper wedges to remove the chuck from the arbor. Here's a link to some wedges on the MSC website. They are on the bottom half of the page.

I will try and get some today. My drill is a Milwaukee 5300.

by the way: Taper shank drill bits are not obsolete. I have a bunch of MT-1, MT-2, MT-3 and MT-4.
My drill press takes MT-4 directly, but I have adaptor sleeves with tangs to use the smaller sizes there too.

My 9" Southbend lathe tailstock accepts MT-2 bits directly, so I use those a lot for big holes.

Brian

Last edited:
My drill is a Milwaukee 5300.

ahhhh, that's a rotary hammer drill and looks like a totally different animal!

I found a manual here:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/588789/Milwaukee-5300.html?page=8#manual

that shows:
1675430363387.png

Those "A" and "B" taper bits look "special"......

Brian

Attachments

• 1675430225045.png
    1675430225045.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 88
The SDS will not work. I am now trying to find the stuff to get a chuck to work.

Back