Drilling For The Answer

may be a bit misunderstood, but i was asking about the cutter itself rather than the machine im using, i have a mill with a DRO, just need to know whether to use an annular cutter or a drill to get the quickest and most accurate hole possible.

With 700 holes the table may be large enough that getting to the middle of the table may be too big of a reach unless you have access to a large mill or radial drill. Hope you have considered that...

I am going to do the plates individually and build the table once they are done, amd they are only 950mmx150mm

First thought. CNC.:barbershop: Get a pack of cobalt drills. Get some one else to pull the quill handle down. :laughing: The price of that table will start looking a lot better once you start drilling all those holes.:beer mugs:

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, drill bits. With a little practice you should be able to drill all the holes with the same bit, maybe a little touch up. Or just have a few prepped ready to swap.

Lubrication/coolent, slowish speed, and a slightly heavy feed rate will do it. From someone who has spent the better part of weeks drilling holes at least two other drillpress jocks have already chimed in.

Good luck with the job, touching up drillbits is a great break from drilling

hello all,

now i know that this question has probably been asked before, maybe not, i dunno there is 7000 discussions here so im asking again.

I need to drill a 16mm or 5/8 inch hole in 16mm steel plate. Simple hey? The catch is i need to drill about 700 of them. So how should i go about it? Its for a fixture welding table much like the build pro ones and i have access to a mill with a DRO so i will set it out on that, i just need to know what cutting tool to use.

here are the options
1) HSS or Cobalt drill bit
2) Annular or broach cutter
3) please specify.

I originally thought an annular cutter but when talking to my school teacher he said "your drilling holes so use a drill bit". My concern is how long the drill bit will last, althought it may be a bit more accurate
than the annular cutter. My teacher also thought that annular cutters are slow. Ive never used an annular cutter only drill bits and they arnt exactly that efficient. Please leave your opinions it would be greatly appreciated

What equipment are you planning to use CNC or Knee mill or Radial Arm drill press? Get at least four high quality drill bits if you are using a CNC machine so that you are not resetting tool depth every time you re-sharpen. At least you are not tapping that many holes.

Good luck, show some photos when you finish

Like once said a mag drill is an amazing machine ,with drill bit or roto broach .Its easier to move that mag drill then setting these plates up on a mill or drill press. And I would bet if your carefull one cutter would do the job. Just my thoughts on this question. The broach cutters don't grab like drill bits do. And the ones with the spring loaded center punch are great to stay on your pre center punched mark.

Back