Enco Vs Msc

carkrazd

Registered
Registered
Fact.
On April 30 I was leaving Reno NV. Thinking to go thru Fernley NV.
I wanted to stop a Enco and pick up a catalog (400 Nevada Pacific Hwy Fernley NV.)
not finding 400 Nevada Pacific I did find my self facing a huge Bld. MSC. thinking
wow that cool lets get one of there catalogs so I go inside and get one form the lady at
the counter.
I get back in my truck and look some more for Enco.
Than called them and ask if I could pick up a catalog. The Lady told me we have no store
and (you will not find us ) where in another warehouse (someone else's warehouse).
Ok when I get home I will call and order a catalog. ( she says your here now in Fernley ).
Yes I said . Come inside MSC I will meet you at the counter and give you a catalog.
but all orders are mail order or internet only.
So here's the FACT.
MSC and Enco work out of the same Bldg. and sell many of the same tools.
look at the monthly deal flyers. The more I looked the more I see MSC has the same things for more money.
1 Rockford / 6x48 belt and 10 in. belt sander (Enco $649.00 MSC $749) sorry its the same tool.
2 Phase 2 quick change tool post set. size BXA or 200 wedge style (Enco $215.95 MSC $ 299.00.
but MSC say's you get 10 AR8 tool bits for free.( A higher price of $84 dollars does not mean free)
it means $8.40 each. That's just to name a few so all the guys that say ___ Enco go to MSC sorry your buying the same thing it just cost you more.
So with all of that said you may want to shop carefully and compare before any order from ether of them.

I am not defending MSC, but they carry a lot of items that are not available thru enco, they also have faster shipping. Back when they both had print catalogs, the MSC one was 3 times or more the size of Enco. I rarely ever buy from MSC anymore but have in the past and have gotten screaming good deals out of the sale flyer on carbide boring bar sets from Circle.

michael

Enco and MSC are all one big happy company, Enco is sort of their outlet store.

The following is quote from http://wiki.fool.com/MSC_Industrial_Direct

''MSC is also a direct marketer of a broad range of industrial products to small and mid-sized industrial customers throughout the United States. They offer approximately 590,000 stock-keeping units (“SKUs”) through their master catalogs; weekly, monthly and quarterly specialty and promotional catalogs; newspapers; brochures; and the Internet, including their websites, MSCDirect.com , MSCJLMetalworking.com and Use-Enco.com. They service their customers from five customer fulfillment centers and 96 branch offices. Most of MSC's products are carried in stock, and orders for these in-stock products are typically fulfilled the day on which the order is received. - See more at: http://wiki.fool.com/MSC_Industrial_Direct#sthash.UtkQoztr.dpuf''

You are right about shopping carefully before ordering.
I know that both companies are related, but I shop at both and I am on both companies' mailing lists. That's the key to finding better deals.
I also shop MSC when I need something quickly because they are headquartered in Long Island and I am in New York - I usually get things the day after I order them.

MSC absorbed Enco as well as J & L several years ago.

Yes MSC does carry tons more than Enco.
The kicker is they seem to be the same people.
Folks out there may have already known I didn't .
And both still have printed catalogs Enco didn't print a 2015.
(got both yesterday)
My point is money. I would rather buy another machine the pay
extra for the same tooling or tools
I will still buy from both ( or one) saving $$ where I can.
hope it helped someone save some cash.

About 20 yrs. ago I walked into Enco in San Jose Cal.
And bought what I needed Thinking I could do the same here .
I can call MSC give my order and pick up at the counter in about 2 hrs.
But will not get the Enco price .That has to be mail order.

Enco is owned by MSC. Some say "Well, then MSC is ripping people off" or "Why would anyone buy from MSC instead of Enco?" The answer is that businesses buy from MSC. They are a well regarded industrial supplier, and the relatively small increase in capital expense to buy stuff from them is in the noise. I worked for a defense contractor for a few years, and in the lab there were times when it was cheaper to throw away the supplies (with only a couple minutes use on them) I was using than to clean them up or put them back. This is not a joke. When the company is charging a couple hundred bucks an hour on a contract for your labor, spending 10 minutes on a 5 dollar piece doesn't make sense. Likewise, if you save a day or two in the shipping process, then paying an extra 10-25% on the product cost is totally worth it.

For hobbyists like us, Enco is the way to go. Waiting an extra day or two on shipping is annoying, but is not the potential show stopper it can be for bigger businesses.

I work at a small place here in Florida. We buy from MSC Grt 15% discount larger companies get better discounts. 90% of what we order comes from there Atlanta whare hous and we get it the next day. Yesterday we broke a belt on a 20x80 lathe. Ordered new belts at 3:30 yesterday and hadthem at 9:00 this morning on standerd ground shipping. That is why we use MSC.

I typically use Enco and have it in 2 days only 1 state away. The things I can't buy from Enco, MSC delivers the next day from 1 or more states away. Very little stock in my size tooling at the local MSC.

Dave

Back