Enco Vs Msc

A couple of years ago I spotted what appeared to be a fairly new Enco lathe on a local auction. I called Enco to ask about availability of replacement parts. Enco parts department let me know they do not have replacement parts for any machinery more than 5 years old. Enco did not even have a copy of the user manual available. The lathe was only 6 years old. This is just one example of what I see as the biggest difference between MSC and Enco - the bulk of the Enco catalog is full of lower cost, imported items, for which Enco offers minimal support long term. Many times the Enco items are Enco brand. Whereas MSC offers better support, and as others have said a significantly larger catalog including more name brand products, and higher prices. I always try to wait for some kind of discount coupon from MSC before I buy anything from them - some of the coupons offer significant discounts. In spite of all this, I still buy stuff from Enco, but it is always when I know a lower cost imported item will do the job, and I know I will not need any long term support.

I ordered from enco for the first time last week. There was a problem with the order and they haven't got back to me in two days!
Bad customer service. I will put them on my last resort list. I get better service from Zoro, Amazon, Grainger and McMaster Carr.
Very disappointed with enco.

That's too bad. I've never had a problem with them, though my orders usually don't ship for one or two business days and communication consists solely of order and shipping acknowledgments.

I have not had a problem with Enco. Most of the stuff I buy comes out of the Fernley, Nv warehouse, I have it shipped UPS ground and almost always have it in 2 days. One time I ordered the wrong item and called them immediately to change the order, and got the correct item. I wonder if some of the other warehouses are a bit less efficient then the Nv facility.

Like Jim, I get my orders from NV also and they ship fast and every time I have wanted to return something they have picked up the tab and sent UPS to pick it up. I suggest if you have a problem with them to call em again, give them order # and pertinent details and see if they straighten it out. Enco processes thousands of orders per day, there is bound to be glitch every once in a while.

michael

So this explains why MSC stickers were all over the Acu-Rite DRO I ordered for my lathe from Enco.

As mentioned MSC bought up several companies and has a different quality line for each. I bought the small band saw from Enco, on sale and free shipping. Delivery was fast for a truck shipment, machine delivered was badged MSC an a considerable discount off the MSC price. In fact it was cheaper than a similar style but lower quality, band saw from Harbor Freight.
One nice thing about Enco, is that they will ship from multiple warehouses but only charge one shipping charge. Not many companies will do that. At one time you could order on-line/phone from Enco and ask to pick the order up at the MSC will call window; Carkrazd experience shows that they no longer will allow a pick up with the discounted price. I don't mind waiting for a delivery, I almost always wait for a free shipping offer.

I have used Enco for years. They actually had a small warehouse store for a few years in the Seattle area. We also had a J&L store locally for a number of years. I am not a fan of what MSC has done buying out the smaller companies. The reason being, if you look at a catalog from Enco from a few years back with a recent online catalog, they have dropped a lot of name brand inventory. For example, they used to carry the entire line of Criterion boring heads and accessories, now only one or two. Same with carbide inserts and and tooling. Having said this, I still use them constantly. I have had nothing but good experiences with their customer service. You just have to pick and choose the items you purchase. I wait for free freight offers on heavy stuff or 20% off expensive or light items. Still one of the best bargains on some items. I just do not buy the cheap crap so sometimes I have to look else where, which wasn't as often before they were bought out.

Darrell

I agree. Enco just doesn't carry good brands. I was looking for a good metric drill in bright and all they had was Interstate brand.
No C-L, Cleveland, Guhring etc... I just pick what I think is better quality tooling or supplies when deals are offered.
Normally, I get good deals year round from Zoro tools and it's always free shipping on orders over $50, and free ship and discounts all the time
with quality choices on many items. Shop around. Momma said. :)

Enco's prices are inflated, so when they have a sale, the prices go down to more realistic retail or less in some
rare cases of 20% off or more plus free shipping. Like Msc, you have to buy over $99 to get a deal. Which is good, but I'm
Not a big fan.

Back