ER to D1-4 Backplate Fitting

Those import ER32 chucks can vary wildly in quality and concentricity, it's worth a little.extra trouble to ensure they're up to.the job: Chuck a piece of ground rod in a 4-jaw and indicate it in as accurately as you can, then attach the ER Chuck back-to-front using the right size collet (try a few different orientations of the collet in the chuck, to ensure the collet isn't eccentric}:??, now you can put a DTI on the mating surfaces and if necessary take a.skim cut to true them up before machining the backplate to fit. If the collet Chuck is too hard / you have a less than rigid lathe and chatter sets in, it's time for.the toolpost grinder!

Those import ER32 chucks can vary wildly in quality and concentricity, it's worth a little.extra trouble to ensure they're up to.the job: Chuck a piece of ground rod in a 4-jaw and indicate it in as accurately as you can, then attach the ER Chuck back-to-front using the right size collet (try a few different orientations of the collet in the chuck, to ensure the collet isn't eccentric}:??, now you can put a DTI on the mating surfaces and if necessary take a.skim cut to true them up before machining the backplate to fit. If the collet Chuck is too hard / you have a less than rigid lathe and chatter sets in, it's time for.the toolpost grinder!

Now that sounds like a plan!

Yep, that's exactly what I did with my ER40 plate using a 1" Thomson linear shaft (that's what I use to dial in my chucks) except I just used my Set-Tru chuck.

Back